VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any safe set of MPEG-2 encoding parameters (using TMPGencX4) that can be used to encode a 720x480 16:9 60fps progressive video to MPEG-2 that can someday be authored to a fake blu-ray disc using free/consumer-grade software, burned to red-laser DVD5/9, and have a reasonable chance of actually being playable on any random blu-ray player?

As far as I can tell, 480p60 is the format the industry just kind of forgot about. MP@ML only recognizes 480p24, 480p30, and 480i60. MP@H14 goes out of its way to recognize 480p24, 480p30, 720p24, 720p30, and 720p60 at a higher bitrate, but says nothing about 480p60 at *any* bitrate. MP@HL doesn't even acknowledge the existence of anything less than 720p.

If I start with MP@ML, then tell TMPGEncX4 to encode it as 480p60 (within the bitrate limits otherwise imposed by MP@ML), can I feel reasonably confident that a near-future Blu-Ray player will handle it just fine without choking on it?

It seems like common sense that it could, but when I checked Google, I found lots of results suggesting that people trying to author HDV-SD (480p60) encountered endless grief. However, I also kind of got the impression that their problems weren't due to Blu-Ray per se, and were mainly due to braindead authoring software that didn't realize the player could handle it directly and insisted on transcoding it *anyway*.
    Hollywood is in the same position as Shiite Clerics in Iran -- they've got the law and courts on their side, but common citizens hate them... and the backlash is coming.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by miamicanes View Post
    Is there any safe set of MPEG-2 encoding parameters (using TMPGencX4) that can be used to encode a 720x480 16:9 60fps progressive video to MPEG-2 that can someday be authored to a fake blu-ray disc using free/consumer-grade software, burned to red-laser DVD5/9, and have a reasonable chance of actually being playable on any random blu-ray player?

As far as I can tell, 480p60 is the format the industry just kind of forgot about. MP@ML only recognizes 480p24, 480p30, and 480i60. MP@H14 goes out of its way to recognize 480p24, 480p30, 720p24, 720p30, and 720p60 at a higher bitrate, but says nothing about 480p60 at *any* bitrate. MP@HL doesn't even acknowledge the existence of anything less than 720p.

If I start with MP@ML, then tell TMPGEncX4 to encode it as 480p60 (within the bitrate limits otherwise imposed by MP@ML), can I feel reasonably confident that a near-future Blu-Ray player will handle it just fine without choking on it?

It seems like common sense that it could, but when I checked Google, I found lots of results suggesting that people trying to author HDV-SD (480p60) encountered endless grief. However, I also kind of got the impression that their problems weren't due to Blu-Ray per se, and were mainly due to braindead authoring software that didn't realize the player could handle it directly and insisted on transcoding it *anyway*.

480p60 isn't compliant with blu-ray specs , and I doubt it ever will be - It's not a common format for acquisition , broadcast or delivery. Source material never comes as 480p60

Now some players can play out of spec material but I wouldn't count on it. Feel free to test some coasters.
    Quote Quote