VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Y have a DLink DSM-520 which finally works well with HD material since the latest 05 amd 06 firmware revisions that expanded the MPEG2 bitrate limit to 25Mbps (from 10Mbps) and allowed NTFS USB 2.0 drives to connect and stream HD material well.

Starting with a BD Rip I've used the latest TMPGEnc 4.5 encoder to recode MPEG-2 encoded blu-ray and H.264 AVC encoded blu-ray discs to 20Mbps average 24Mbps peak MPEG-2 files that play nicely on the DSM-520 in either wired 10/100 Ethernet mode or through an external HDD connected to the USB 2.0 port (forget wireless-G.. only good for SD material )

Here's the rub - while TMPGEnc 4.5 will read the raw .m2ts fine for both MPEG-2 encoded and H.264 AVC encoded bluray discs, it chokes on VC-1. I've had a little success using eac3to to create a .mkv from the .m2ts and TMPGEnc reads that, but the MPEG-2 output stutters.. it almost looks as if the framerate is wrong, or there's some inverse telecine step needed. I've had no success recoding the VC-1 stream with WME.. got a file that only had the last portion of the movie (about 3.6GB)..

Any thoughts on how to get TMPGEnc 4.5 to properly decode VC-1 video in a .mkv wrapper? Any other ideas or a guide to recoding VC1 to either WMV9 or MPEG-4 that would be DSM-520 compatible?? The DSM-520 doesn't recognize VC1 video natively from my experience (I've asked for that through their tech support side).
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tried Ripbot264 or Xvid4PSP ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, Thanks. I've fired up Xvid4PSP and it read the original .M2TS file and appears to properly digest the VC1 and AC3 5.1 streams. The only output wrapper option that I saw was .M2TS which is OK for now. Using the default X264 encode options (21 quality) the reencode is running at just over 1 fps on my 3.2GHZ dual core Pentium.. so we'll check back in a CPU-day or so. If I want to try and play back the X264 video directly on the DSM-520 it'll have to be in a .AVI wrapper. Any idea what sort of bitrate I should expect?? The DSM-520 is limited to 10Mbps on WMV and MPEG-4 sources, 25Mbps on MPEG-2. Worst case I can take the .M2TS x264 version back through TMPGEnc 4.5 and reencode in MPEG-2, ugly but effective.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid4PSP produced a nice looking video after 1 Day 6 Hours with the proper frame rate, but the aspect ratio was wrong. I found a much easier path - TMPGEnc accepts AVS scripts directly, so that makes the process quite easy. Now I've got a different problem; for some reason the HD .m2V file from TMPGEnc isn't muxing correctly with the 5.1 DD .ac3 stream demuxed from the original .m2ts. TMPGEnc MPEG Tools produces a .mpg thats the right size, but on playback there's no audio. IMAGO MPEG Muxer bombs after a few seconds, and Super@C produces a small 18 second .mpg file and quits. Any thoughts on what's going wrong or how to debog this?
    Quote Quote