VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have a 1920x1080 AVI file exported from EDIUS. I'm opening it in TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 to add some chapters and prepare a DVD image. If I set the resolution to 720x576 (PAL, 16x9), in output file I get thin black stripes on the left and right side of my computer screen. However, if I set the resolution to 704x576 (PAL, 16x9) everything seems to be ok. Is that normal and will the movie play fine on the TV screen as well ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPG supports the idea that 704x576(or x480) corresponds to the 4:3 or 16:9 AR's. This comes (as a calculated consequence) from ITU BT.601, the standard for digitizing analog video. ITU's MPEG2 standard doesn't say it's mandatory to follow BT.601 everywhere, however many people believe they always and everywhere should. Newer standards like h264 follow the '704 law' in setting resolutions and aspect ratios (it's called 'horizontal overscan' in that standard). So if you want to avoid those black bars, simply use 704.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So it's completely normal and I won't have issues with, let's say, missing parts on TV screen or something like that ?
    Quote Quote