VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to put together a highlight reel and the video seems kind of choppy. I am not sure if it is the video provided or my computer system I am using. I have used Adobe Media Encoder to convert it to 720p and that didn't improve things. I don't want to give up on it if it is something I may be able to fix with research, but I don't want to waste a bunch of time if it is the video.

Can someone give me their opinion on where the issue may lie? I have attached one of the video clips. The attached is the original.

Thanks,

Tracy
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. The file appears to be fine. The only jerkiness I saw was in the camera handling. How does this quick 720p60 conversion look to you?
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Nov 2021 at 19:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Even on my quite slow PC, and with a fraction of the ram you have, the video plays fine.

So the issue is PC-related or the video is recorded at a quality higher bitrate-wise than is neccessary. Chances are that playing the video spikes CPU useage and if it hits 100% playback will stutter. You can check the CPU useage with Task Manager (ctrl shift esc or right-click on the task bar and select). Some other non-essential at this time processes may also be using resources.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I updated the file in post #2 with one with a progress bar that moves across the top of the frame. If the progress bar is jerky you have a playback problem. If only the soccer video is jerky -- that's your camerawork.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's pretty cool Jagabo. Nice n smooth here.

The original is also pretty smooth, apart from the abrupt camera movement.

Nice save there Tracy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your help. That isn't me in the video. I am doing this for a friend's daughter, her dad was videoing. I suspected that it was my computer somehow. I will take a look at what you have provided and see if we can fix this so I don't feel like I am giving her something crappy.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Pretty much any computer made in the last 10 years should be able to play that video. It may be the player or its setup. What player were you using? Did the video I uploaded play smoothly?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jagabo,

So, that progress bar was all jerky and glitchy too. I am going to have to take a look at what is causing this problem.

If you have any suggestions on what to look at after I check processes pulling on the CPU usage, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!
    Tracy
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using the VLC player. I just downloaded it within the last month.
    Quote Quote  
  10. VLC.. Check which output device you are using:

Tools -> Preferences -> Video -> Output

[Attachment 61620 - Click to enlarge]

If Automatic doesn't work try one of the others, starting at the top and working your way down. Stop playback, change the setting, the start playback and see if there's any improvement.

Also on that dialog check that Deinterlacing is set to Automatic and check the Deinterlace Mode. I use Yadif (2x) because it has the smoothest playback. But it is one of the most CPU intensive (with your Xeon processor that shouldn't be a problem).

At the bottom of that dialog select the Show Settings -> All option. Then check Video -> Filters. Some of them may cause problems, turn them all off. You have to exit VLC and restart it for filter changes to take effect.

If your monitor isn't running at 60 fps (or 59.94 fps) you will get some jerkiness on playback.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Nov 2021 at 10:21.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your help! I am thinking my older inexpensive monitors are the issue. I don't know what fps they run at. I will go into my workplace and see how the monitors in there do and hopefully I can just get that done there.

Thank you again and have a great holiday season.
    Tracy
    Quote Quote