VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When capturing should the timecode be a round number so that the frame is ok, or can i stop the time at any point i like? Say for eg the footage ends at 00:20:14:03, is it ok to stop it there of should i end it at 00:20:14:00 ?
    I think i have seen that in PremiereCS5 there are some issues when ending the "out" at non round numbers!
    Do i make sense? Is everyone understanding my point?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends on what codec you are capturing with: I-frame codecs (DV, Cineform, ProRes, Lagarith, etc) you can start & stop anywhere, Inter-frame codecs - when used interframe (MPEG2, DivX, AVC, WMV9, etc) depend on the app as to whether it handles the orphans frames in the GOP correctly (IP-type frames should be OK regardless, but IBBP-type can be problematic, PARTICUARLY open-GOP).

Premiere is not alone in this, all apps that cap + work with Interframe codecs would have to do special handling in order to manage them correctly. However, Premiere, as well as most other pro and semi-pro NLEs are probably built EXPECTING to use I-frame (or simple short-GOP) codecs for capture & edit.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 24th Aug 2014 at 15:31.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanx for the extensive reply! Im facing sync issues but when i fiddle with the in and out frames the issue is fixed! Do you think what im asking is relevant to this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Possibly. What capture codec are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have no clue where to look for that!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, it would help if you actually told us the setup/connections, apps, settings, etc. that you are using. You mention Premiere, but I can't tell if that is your capping app or editing app, or neither or both.

If you have already done some and want to know what it turned out as, get a MediaInfo readout (you could post the detailed text information here).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Regarding MediaInfo, its just that i have no clue what to download. It has many options for the Mac but no clue which one is for my iMac!
    Last edited by zoranb; 25th Aug 2014 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Download the one for your OS version.

Mentioning you are on a Mac, and posting in the Mac sub-forum is really important. There are far fewer tools available.
    Quote Quote  
  9. So what exactly does MediaInfo do?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by zoranb View Post
    So what exactly does MediaInfo do?
    It gives you info about your media. You can find much of the same data in the premiere project window.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!