VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like I may have to eat my words about not getting a valid driver to work until the video bios is emulated. Seems they got it working on an Imac. Holding out for MacBook Pro drivers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/06/03/22/1418210.shtml
    Yup. Except I foobar'ed my first attempt at XP and couldn't get it to reinstall OSX afterwards. Thankfully I found a solution after an hour or so and am back in the saddle so to speak.

Like I've said several times today. If they manage to get JUST a driver to work I will gladly eat my words about them needing to fix the Video BIOS first.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by vitualis
    Well, that's your opinion. The huge interest from people wanting to install Windows on the Intel Mac proves my point of view.

One obvious area of "better / more function" is software. In the Windows world, there is more of it. It would be impossible for me to swtich to OS X without giving up something that I use frequently and with no OS X alternatively (not a good alternative anyway). That or use Virtual PC - but then, I might as well just use Windows.

The second is hardware. In the Windows world you can buy hardware and peripherals out of consideration of price, features, etc. You never have to worry about OS support or drivers.

I'm not saying that OS X isn't a good OS. It is. For many people, it obviously all they need. It does not, however, fit my needs and it isn't going to be converting enterprise users (or the vast majority of existing Windows users) any time soon.

The current Intel Mac from a hardware perspective is pretty good for the price. As before, if it were limited to running Mac OS X, I would almost certainly not buy it.

Regards.
    Dear clueless,

You obviously have never put any serious production time in on Mac OS X...You'd think differently if you had.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Dear clueless,

Macs don't run the vast majority of medical software.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  6. In other words, as I stated before, you obvious have no real experience with Mac OS X and are basing your opinions on half the picture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you mean 4% of the picture --

in fact read the latest apple stockholders report ... apple themselves say the future of their company is not in desktop hardware, good as it may be
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  8. It never ceases to amaze me how good PC people are at twisting the facts to make themselves look better than they are, sort of like Microsoft itself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SERBIAN
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    Well, that's your opinion. The huge interest from people wanting to install Windows on the Intel Mac proves my point of view.

One obvious area of "better / more function" is software. In the Windows world, there is more of it. It would be impossible for me to swtich to OS X without giving up something that I use frequently and with no OS X alternatively (not a good alternative anyway). That or use Virtual PC - but then, I might as well just use Windows.

The second is hardware. In the Windows world you can buy hardware and peripherals out of consideration of price, features, etc. You never have to worry about OS support or drivers.

I'm not saying that OS X isn't a good OS. It is. For many people, it obviously all they need. It does not, however, fit my needs and it isn't going to be converting enterprise users (or the vast majority of existing Windows users) any time soon.

The current Intel Mac from a hardware perspective is pretty good for the price. As before, if it were limited to running Mac OS X, I would almost certainly not buy it.

Regards.
    Dear clueless,

You obviously have never put any serious production time in on Mac OS X...You'd think differently if you had.
    No he has the truth of it. There is alot of thing you can't do as well or at all on the Mac. As someone who just helped a local Doctors office switch from dumb terminals I can safely say I wouldn't have wanted to do it using Apple. Also I use both PC and Macs in my own daily life and much as I love Macs sometimes it gets a bit... weighty, trying to do everything in the MacOS.

For that reason the switch to intel was good because it allows both projects like Darwine AND dual boot systems. Its a good and healthy thing.

A good friend of mine, he likes macs. He thinks they are quite neat. He had an old mac long ago, but it was used when he got it. It was a "neat toy" to him. He would never otherwise buy a Mac. He's a windows Programmer btw. By the same note he was greatly impresssed with the Ti Powerbook when it came out. He has been around my Macbook Pro for several days now and suddenly decided "THAT is the laptop I want". This is a good thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I see is arguments always form when MAC USERS and WINDOWS USERS clash on issues that they know nothing about on the other platforms side.
    The Windows users complain about a task they've never tried on a MAC
    likewise, MAC users groan when they aren't familiar with "how to do it in windows"

When users understand both, they use both platforms side by side to patch their work together.
    This is all one can do

again, because its a SOFTWARE-OS+HARDWARE Company
    VS
    a SOFTWARE-OS Company
    its also an APPLES (sorry) vs ORANGES argument

If the ability to run one OS on the other's hardware is perfected, this will go a long way to
    settling these silly arguments (but aren't they fun:-))
    Quote Quote  
  11. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would probably never buy a Mac if I was limited to running Mac OS X. However, if the iMac or Mac mini could run Windows XP and run it well, it would definitely be something that I would consider.
    Yes, we already know you love Windows and hate the Mac. You post about it constantly.

All other posters in this thread - heed my avatar!
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SERBIAN
    It never ceases to amaze me how good PC people are at twisting the facts to make themselves look better than they are, sort of like Microsoft itself.
    if you are referring to me -- you are sadly mistaken my little friend ...

I am not just a pc user ... in fact for a long time I was just primarily a sgi user... I also used apple machine on almost a daily basis -- as well as pc workstations ..

As time went by -- more and more software that we needed to use was not ported to sgi and was pc only based, apple based systems that used to be the primary platform for products from avid and protools -- switched to windows ... even avids live mixing (audio) consoles run embedded XP now ...

Products like softimage, shake dfusion and maya all ran faster and better on pc platforms (in some cases because of the better graphics cards you could get - like the wildcats) , a lot of products that were *nix based were only ported to windows ... shake was purchased by apple (along with RAYs and Chalice) and was ported over to OSX , and to renderfarm in shake - you were forced to use an apple renderfarm (which caused many companies to drop shake - as they already had 100s of thousands tied up into their render farms) . Apple has now started to once again support the windows users for shake - but charge double the price or more for the honour.

apple builds an excellent machine -- nothing wrong with them at all , i like them ... just the vast majority of specialized software is just not available to run on them ...

And furthermore - I am an Apple stockholder , i read their reports ... all of them ... i suggest you might want to also before you put your foot in your mouth again ... They have clearly stated their long term goals and issues relying only on desktop hardware .. and also their market share issues (which have not got any better) which hamper their growth in that area ..

They ARE making a pile of money though - that i am glad for.. And the fact is -- it is good for windows to have competition as that will only make the product better on both sides ..

Lastly - it is proven fact that Mr. Jobs exaggerates ........ but some people buy it .....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lastly - it is proven fact that Mr. Jobs exaggerates ........
    YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

It IS 4x faster! It IS. *plugs his ears and runs away*
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by thoughton
    I would probably never buy a Mac if I was limited to running Mac OS X. However, if the iMac or Mac mini could run Windows XP and run it well, it would definitely be something that I would consider.
    Yes, we already know you love Windows and hate the Mac. You post about it constantly.

All other posters in this thread - heed my avatar!
    And this is what we've eventually come down to...

I written before many times that I think that OSX is a good OS. For most people, it is the only OS that you CAN switch over to from Windows-land and be perfectly comfortable in using (compared to various versions of Linux)... and I have used Windows and OSX fairly extensively (Linux a little bit less so).

However, OSX fanboys need to face facts. I don't use my computer because it looks good. I use it for work. In the "real world" there is really no option for medical software - it is Windows or nothing. I am always bemused by people who use OSX and then run WinXP in Virtual PC for a critical piece of software that they need to use all the time. If I had to run a critical OSX software for work, I would just get a Mac, not run it through emulation.

Apple makes excellent hardware, I think everyone agrees on that. However, no matter how good it looks, it is mostly useless to me if I can't do my work on it. For me, a Mac able to run Windows natively is really the best of both worlds, and I'm sure that many people would agree.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you called up e-mds and asked if they support Mac they are SADLY going to laugh at you.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Now Apple laughs at them!
    Keeper of the "Unofficial" iMovie FAQ also for the lastest iMovie news click here
    Your source for iMovie answers and what not! ;-)
    Quote Quote  
  17. I ran into this artical today from excite. It said that Apple had put out a beta software to run windows on the mac

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060405/D8GQ2CEG0.html
    Quote Quote  
  18. What will the fanboys do now?

The chances that my next PC upgrade will be to a Mac just got a whole lot more likely.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    apple has it out now - get it while it's hot http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Boot Camp allows a user to install Windows XP on any of the new Intel Macs,

note; does not support (yet) the new apple remote control

i guess apple is doing damage control ...if you cant beat the hackers, give it away for free
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    note that they state that it will a standard part of OS x 10.5

which makes one wonder -- why buy an apple to run windows ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I see a XP discount coupon packed with every MAC.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    which makes one wonder -- why buy an apple to run windows ?
    Few people would.

#1 The guy wanting to upgrade his Mac and always wanted a PC too.
    #2 The guy wanting to upgrade his PC and always wanted a Mac too.
    #3 The guy wanting to upgrade both his current Mac and current PC.
    #4 The weird people who throw away two perfectly-fine computers in order to "save space" and downsize to a single box.

And none of these will be gamers, I would think. Unless Mac stays on top of the uber-super-nerd-fastest-bestest-ever graphics card, which I doubt is the case.

You're looking at people who work with some level of flexibility and authority (in other words, not some worker drone who is denied admin access), and require both platforms.

I'll consider being guy #2 in a few years. We'll see.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    #5 The corporate wannabee looking to be "cool" or "perked" that will use a MAC for status not need. Probably only use email and MS Office. These people have been around for 20 years.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote