VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have 8 disks in a PC with Windows 7. Normally I only have 3 connected permanently. I connect the others now and then, when I need to use some of their files.
    The thing is the system keeps (that's to say, remembers) the letters assigned to the disks, but don't remember that I want to share all the files they have. So, any time I connect one of my disks, I have to configure the properties if I want to access the disk through the LAN.

Is there a way to configure the sharing by default? I mean, I would like to connect any disk to my computer and share it immediately on the LAN.

Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Allowing this by default would be a gigantic security problem. That's why Windows doesn't allow it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. create a folder where ever you want it.
    share the folder
    insert USB drive
    Go to disk management
    Remove the drive letter for it
    apply
    go back and add a drive letter for it
    Instead choose to mount to empty folder
    Point it to the folder you just created and shared

Now each time you insert that USB drive, it will mount to that shared folder
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your answer.
    The thing is the disks are not connected through USB. They are sata disks connected to the PC Power Supply. I have a switch to turn on/off the disks. When I turn them on, as I said, the system remembers the letters, but not the sharing configuration.
    Last edited by Talayero; 2nd Jun 2011 at 22:33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. doesn't matter
    it will remember there isn't a drive letter for it. It will remember it's a folder mount

Of course, you will have to do this for each one, and to a seperate folder
    SATA1Share
    SATA2Share
    ...etc
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Talayero View Post
    Thank you for your answer.
    The thing is the disks are not connected through USB. They are sata disks connected to the PC Power Supply. I have a switch to turn on/off the disks. When I turn them on, as I said, the system remembers the letters, but not the sharing configuration.
    That's a lot of opening and reconnecting going on and with all the drives proably a good amount of stress on the PS.

You should look into a NAS setup with hot swappable drives. It would be more suited to your use of drives.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote