VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I was wondering how you people prepare your videos prior to editing?

I have my Vegas project set as 1080p 25fps progressive but I am using all kinds of footage of all different resolutions & framerates & formats etc etc. I know upscaling lower-res footage comes at a price but that's ok for my purposes here.

I just wondered, should I let Vegas do all the re-conforming the imported footage to my project's specs? Or can I squeeze some more quality but using some other software for preparing my videos?

Yes I realise normally I would set the Project settings to match the imported video. But in this case I need the Project at a specified setting, using video assets of all different sizes & formats etc etc.

What is your process in situation like this thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. People have different workflows and preferences . You can go from A to B in many different ways.

It really depends on your project goals and asset specifics

There are some situations where you definitely want to (and/or definitely have to) use other methods as a workaround, because of known issues. For example , some formats are not compatible with vegas (e.g. MKV container), or prone to sync issues (VFR) etc.. Probably dozens of other little things or "gotchas" .

But for the most part everything will be converted to your project timeline settings quite well

And yes, you can get slightly better results using other programs for things like upscaling, and deinterlacing.

And for certain scenarios, you might want to perform a different type of frame rate change (Vegas can do blends and frame repeats/drops but not optical flow type interpolation)
    Quote Quote  
  3. resizing of progressive footage should be ok in Vegas,
    but resizing of interlaced footage, like DVavi, that is going to be messed up, better to deinterlace it before loading into Vegas,

frame rate conversion is handled two ways, setting disable resample or to allow it for a clip,
    disabling resample just copies or skips frames,
    allowing it uses interpolate or blend for frames, that is set in project properties, so just basic algorithms, results might not be desirable
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    thanks you guys! your answers reassure me stop over-thinking it he he! yes the upscaling was the main issue, but vegas does ok
    Quote Quote