VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    i didn't see any reference from op to what limit to measure against..i.e., 480i/p to 1280i/p to 1080i/p for instance.

i spend most of the weeking searching for the original test pattern used in the dvd recorder tbc performance and could not find it, so i ended up re-creating one from scratch. took me some time to first find the orginal high res version, though not that i was looking for it, but that i recall seeing in recently. anyway, i found it and was trying to scale back down to the same one used in the discussions, but it was a pain and i gave up and saled my own version. it was a pain. i would still prefer the original but those links are long dead.

the point is, if you're not referencing by "standards" then it doesn't matter as much if just for personal use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I re-uploaded my old comparison screenshots here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1287869/ps3-vs-htpc-dvd-upscaling-comparison-pix#post_23331702

The PS3 seems to use edge-directed interpolation + edge enhancement + something else. To me the result is sort of a cartoony look where some details look expanded beyond their original bounds, if that makes any sense.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Infognition ran some comparisons a while back:

http://www.infognition.com/articles/video_resize_shootout.html

But beware, their main intent was to make their upscaler look good. They invested no time in optimizing the other upscalers. They often chose poor settings for the other upscalers (for example, VirtualDub's simple bicubic algorithm rather than its precise bicubic algorithm).
    Okay, so I have a VCD I want to display on a 1080p HDTV.

Video Enhancer is not kind to compression artifacts! I also tried with their YV12 deblocking turned on, and noticed actual details being blurred. It is certainly sharper than NNEDI3+Spline36, but with Sharpen(1) added I'm not seeing any frame where Video Enhancer doesn't look worse.

I can see the value of their comparison to grab metrics, but for the product they are selling they need to encode that downscale and show those results too. None of us are working from HD-mastered uncompressed SD sources we want to upscale.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    I read somewhere that MadVR with LAV filters is one of the best options out there for MPC-HC, but i tried following the guide and after i registered madvr it still shows as unavailable. I'm running win 8 64 and mpc-hc x64. Is MADVR only intended for 32 bit systems and apps?
    Yes, there is no 64bit version available. You can still run mpc-hc 32bit on 64bit systems.
    Quote Quote