VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear all,

Any help greatly appreciated for a self-confessed noob - a long time viewer first time poster to the forums.

I'm trying to get an Xvid AVI onto DVD and have succeeded quite well so far, only thing is I'm having problems with DVD playback audio sync.

Note: The original 700MB file doesn't have any audio sync problems whatsoever on playback through my laptop on WMP - this is all about audio sync, I have no problems with video sync at all. I've got the latest Xvid codec, Divx and K-Lite packs.

Im burning with a Matshita somethingorother and a Duo Core 2 with 2GB RAM.

I'm burning the finished ISO with Nero 8 through the Burning Rom at 2x with data verification at the end on a DVD-R (Tescos 8x - I think personally theyre good quality)

I'll try and explain this as fully as follows:

1. I run the Xvid through VirtualDub 1.7.8 as follows:

Video > Direct Stream Copy
    Audio > Full Processing Mode (like it tells me)
    Audio > Compession > No Compression (PCM)

^^ Not too sure if this is right, should I be using Mpeg-3 Compression 48kbps?

Interleaving > Enable Interleaving
    - Preload 500ms
    - Interleave audio every 1 frame
    - Delay by 0ms (I think this is right)

^^ Not entirely sure if this is right - should I set it to 0 for all values or turn it off altogether?

Also not too sure with video if I should Direct Stream Copy or just Normal Recompress.

Anyway after that I get the output file which is usually around 1.6-1.8GB, also plays fine on WMP playback, no loss of sync whatsoever.

Next, I go to DVDForger 0.6.2a and load the newly tinkered about with AVI and set:

PAL
    Single Layer DVD
    Create ISO image
    16:9 Aspect Ratio
    192kbps Audio Bitrate
    Audio track of video file
    Progressive

I think thats about right. So I click the button, let it make the ISO. Next open it up in Nero and burn at 2x, verify afterwards. Pop it in my laptop DVD player, skip forward a little to a talky bit and there you go, its as badly dubbed as a kung-fu movie.

Any help really is greatly appreciated - what am I doing wrong? Theres a few things I can think of...

1. In DVDForger I should set the audio bitrate to Default rather than 192kbps (dont know if this makes any difference)

2. In VirtualDub I should use some form of Audio Compression (even though WMP playback is totally fine)

3. In VirtualDub I should turn off Interleaving or change the values

4. In VirtualDub I should change Video and Audio to either:

Direct Stream Copy
    Full Processing Mode
    --
    Direct Stream Copy
    Fast Recompress
    Normal Recompress
    Full Processing <-- can't do this as I don't have 60gb spare on my HDD.

Any suggestions much appreciated - I'm totally tearing my hair out over this.

Thanks to all, I have faith its something really simple and you all will know what to do

Lozza.

NOTE: The audio is about 2-3 seconds ahead of the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you try it (the original, non redone AVI) with either DVD Flick or FAVC (both free).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, lozza_c.
    Sorry friend, i know that you are in a great need but still i can't help you because i don't have sufficient knowledge that how can i help you, or what will be the best for you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, DVDFlick worked a dream. How do I do it with a DIVX file in DVDFlick though, do you know?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lozza_c
    Thanks, DVDFlick worked a dream. How do I do it with a DIVX file in DVDFlick though, do you know?
    If you mean a file with a .divx extension, try changing it to .avi.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It worked great, thanks.

In DVDFlick, what do some of these settings mean? I do a second encoding pass always and set the encoding profile to Best, but what do Log PSNR Values and Force MPEG2 compression mean?
    Quote Quote