Page 2 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    my laptop is out because of the stupid TPM 2.0 requirement.
    How old is your laptop?Most computers built in the last 5 years have tpm 2.0 but disabled in the bios.
    it is a Dell inspiron N5050 originally had windows 7 and now windows 10 home via free upgrade.
    Maybe it is new enough to have PTT. There is a link about how to find out: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000181412/intel-platform-trust-technology-ptt PTT came out in 2013. If your laptop is older than that you will have to stick with Windows 10 or get a new laptop.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Jul 2021 at 13:39.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  2. Found this that may help older PCs bypass any tpm requirements and install win 11. My pc is older than most but supports tpm 1.2 which I keep seeing conflicted reports of will or won’t work

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/06/28/youll-be-able-to-bypass-windows-11-tpm-2-0-requirement/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Too old,was made almost 10 years ago.You can always buy an addon card but with that old of a laptop 1 wouldn't upgrade anything.
    may just switch to LINUX Mint instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Too old,was made almost 10 years ago.You can always buy an addon card but with that old of a laptop 1 wouldn't upgrade anything.
    may just switch to LINUX Mint instead.
    That's an actual upgrade from Windows.

For video, WinXP/7 is generally required,
    But I far prefer Mint or Xubuntu for actual non-video 'net/mail/office type tasks.
    Or Mac for photo, better OS integration.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not use a distro already preconfigured for audio and video?
    AV Linux MX Edition
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kakujitsu View Post
    AV Linux MX Edition
    https://youtu.be/H_-M-Hn3ZmU
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever.

"The Blue Screen of Death in Windows 11 is going black."

https://www.engadget.com/windows-11-black-screen-of-death-231414884.html
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Kakujitsu View Post
    AV Linux MX Edition
    Because distros like this border on being a scam. There is absolutely nothing special about this distro or Ubuntu Studio, I can take any distro and install the exact same software, and in the case of Ubuntu Studio, RT kernel. In fact, back when I was a regular user of Linux, I put together a script that would could take any Ubuntu variant and auto-install all the software I normally install. The script was easily modified for Fedora or OpenSuse or Arch based variants.

Don't get me wrong, I like MX Linux, I like Ubuntu and Fedora but let's be honest with ourselves, if you have the money and are serious about video editing you buy a Mac, specifically one of the new ARM based systems, if you have a more modest budget or like a more do-it yourself build, you use Win 10.

Linux is a toy, an entertaining toy, but a toy nonetheless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    AV Linux MX Edition
    Because distros like this border on being a scam. There is absolutely nothing special about this distro or Ubuntu Studio, I can take any distro and install the exact same software, and in the case of Ubuntu Studio, RT kernel. In fact, back when I was a regular user of Linux, I put together a script that would could take any Ubuntu variant and auto-install all the software I normally install. The script was easily modified for Fedora or OpenSuse or Arch based variants.

Don't get me wrong, I like MX Linux, I like Ubuntu and Fedora but let's be honest with ourselves, if you have the money and are serious about video editing you buy a Mac, specifically one of the new ARM based systems, if you have a more modest budget or like a more do-it yourself build, you use Win 10.

Linux is a toy, an entertaining toy, but a toy nonetheless.
    So I guess workstations are called toys now? https://system76.com/desktops
    I agree any distro can have the same software but not everyone has the knowhow or patients to set things up themselves.
    I merely mentioned that distro as an alternative for people like I just mentioned, but calling Linux a toy when Mac OS uses BSD codebase and the XNU kernel... You made me chuckle.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ^
    Great to be aware that Linux is ... not so great as (sometimes) advertised.

Apart from that off-topic , this is "Windows 11" thread, so there must be a bunch of people who are interested in using Windows 11 anyway.

Waiting for more info on new builds and user experience (performance, compatibility, bugs etc). Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, Linux is fine for meeting the basic needs of someone using an older PC or people using workstations running custom/proprietary software written for Linux. It's just the lack of hardware and software choices for the vast number of people whose needs are in between those two extremes that make Linux not good enough for many people here to use.

I'll save you the trouble of writing the standard lame excuse, "but that isn't Linux's fault. It's the fault of all those greedy companies that won't write drivers and software for an OS that only 2% of computers connecting to the Internet run and lazy users who are unwilling to learn to code and write their own programs."
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Jul 2021 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Kakujitsu View Post
    "Workstation" does not mean Linux, it simply means a computer used to do work and the OS can be anything, BSD, Linux, Windows, OSX, AIX, whatever.

Also, there's nothing special about the System 76 computers or the Ubuntu based Pop OS they run, they do have nice cases but that's it.

calling Linux a toy when Mac OS uses BSD codebase and the XNU kernel... You made me chuckle.
    What makes Linux a toy is the lack of "killer apps", the unique Linux only software that makes Linux a must use.

Windows has Office, which can't be touched, not by OpenOffice, not LibreOffice, not FreeOffice, nothing.

OSX has Final Cut Pro X, a must have if you want to fully exploit the new M1 processors and/or want/have to use ProRes Raw.

The sad truth is that Linux, by virtue of that idiotic GPL, is incapable of ever having that killer app, that must use on Linux application that would force one to install a Linux distro.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by random_guy View Post
    ^
    Great to be aware that Linux is ... not so great as (sometimes) advertised.

Apart from that off-topic , this is "Windows 11" thread, so there must be a bunch of people who are interested in using Windows 11 anyway.

Waiting for more info on new builds and user experience (performance, compatibility, bugs etc). Cheers!
    I'm interested in Win 11 and I know how it's going to go, when it's first released I'm going to bitch and say that Win 10 is better and that I have no intention of switching, just like I did when Win 10 was released and I went around telling everyone Win 7 was better. Eventually MS will release an update that allows Win 11 to surpass Win 10 and then I will sing the praises of Win 11.

But this won't happen for at least a year, so for the time being, I'll stick with Win 10.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I just finally switched from XP to a new computer with Windows 10 YESTERDAY......seriously.....no kidding.
    Amazing, means unbelievable to used xp,
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wariic View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I just finally switched from XP to a new computer with Windows 10 YESTERDAY......seriously.....no kidding.
    Amazing, means unbelievable to used xp,
    There are a few people here still using Windows XP because of personal preference. There are more people here who are still using XP because they need to use specialized long-discontinued hardware or software that doesn't work using later versions of Windows or in a virtualized XP environment.

I don't have a computer running XP anymore but I have two older computers in operation running unsupported operating systems (one runs Windows 7 and the other runs Windows 8.1) as well as a newer computer running Windows 10. I am building a new computer that I hope will run Windows 11 someday.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Jul 2021 at 21:30. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The new computer that I have yet to assemble might be the only one I have that can run Windows 11 if the TPM 2.0 requirement holds.

Since there is a TPM header available on the motherboard I installed in my 2-year-old Coffee Lake Windows 10, machine, Supermicro decided that it was unnecessary to offer the option of using the BIOS to activate PTT, and the only TPM modules Supermicro made for that motherboard are TPM 1.2. I am very reluctant to replace a functioning $140 motherboard with a new one just to run Windows 11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by blud7 View Post
    There are "ways" around TPM and secure boot which I effected successfully.
    How did you effect this? this'll be mine and many others downfall in installing Windows 11. My Dell Optiplex 9020 only has TPM version 1.2
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just installed windows 11 preview and it fixed my audigy 5 rx issue with the midi sound no longer working,now it works with no issues and also fixed my razer tartarus game pad issue where at times in a game(wow) the movement key would keep going in one direction until you hit that same direction key.

So i nuked my windows 10 backup files.Any other comments about windows are welcome.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shock! Horror! What are the Windows Update catastrophists going to say about this?!
    Quote Quote  
  21. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Official Windows 11 ISO image now available for download from Microsoft.

"Along with the release of Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.160, Microsoft today announced the release of official Windows 11 ISO images. You can now download the official ISOs of Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.132 from Windows Insider Preview Downloads page.

Users can use these Windows 11 ISOs to do a clean installation or in-place upgrade. When you install Windows 11 through the new ISOs, you can check out the new Windows 11 setup experience. Microsoft has also added the ability to name your PC during the setup experience too."

SOURCE: https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-windows-11-iso-download-official/
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 21st Aug 2021 at 23:07. Reason: add link
    Quote Quote  
  22. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft is making it harder to switch default browsers in Windows 11.
    Competitors aren’t happy.

https://www.theverge.com/22630319/microsoft-windows-11-default-browser-changes
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had no issues at having firefox as my default browser,might be that way for newer users.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finished upgrading my HTPC (and updated my computer details). It probably supports Windows 11 because there are indeed settings for PTT in the BIOS to make up for the lack of a TPM header on the board. Since I use the HTPC as my DVR, I am going to wait to try installing Windows 11 due to the approaching fall season TV premieres.
    Quote Quote  
  25. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Exclusive survey: Windows 11 will be adopted rapidly, a lot of users going for touch devices.

https://windowsreport.com/research/windows-11-survey-users-will-upgrade-touch/
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft released a new version of their PC Health Check app today and added some more processors to its supported list.

However, by yesterday I was tired of waiting and I decided to try an alternative, WhyNotWin11, to validate my HTPC's hardware and BIOS settings for Windows 11. All but 3 of the hardware requirements were met, UEFI secure boot, GPT formatting for the boot drive, and TPM 2.0. That information was very helpful.

The motherboard included UEFI firmware but I didn't know that my boot drive also needed to be GPT formatted to have UEFI secure boot available. Regarding TPM 2.0, I found out that enabling PTT in the BIOS was not enough by itself to meet the TPM 2.0 requirement. There was no TPM header on this motherboard and thus no way to install a TPM module, so it took me a while to figure out that I needed to enable a "Security Device", which the BIOS noted was not present.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This comes over like Win7 >> Win8 again except that Win8 would install. It was just a shite OS.
    hey hey 8.0 was not great but 8.1 is fine. i've used everything from ibm pc dos 1.1 to win 10 so far and none are great...
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    hey hey 8.0 was not great but 8.1 is fine. i've used everything from ibm pc dos 1.1 to win 10 so far and none are great...
    In my experience Windows 8.1 is a pain to use without something like Open Shell installed to restore the classic start menu functionality.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just lost all my icon colors in windows 11 so when i do a folder view all i see is the names,no icons and the icons on the taskbar have no colors,it's in the user settings cause in administrative mode all the icon colors and shapes are their,did a system restore to a date before this occurred but no fix,anyone know how to restore the icons?Nothing on google helped.
    Quote Quote