VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am about to get to the task of tagging 1000's of photos accumulated over the years.
    Want to tag with the typical info... names, places, events, etc.
    Was wondering what the best/efficient software would be to do this with.

I have Jriver and an older version of Photoshop that I know can be used for this. Only played with Jriver briefly with it.

Would either of these be a good option....is there a stand alone program that would be better. I use Tag and Rename for my music and its awesome as a stand alone program... didn't know if there was a similar for photos.

Any advice appreciated. Want something easy to use that can get this job done at a reasonable pace.
    Not concerned if its free or pay... if it does the job right I don't mind paying for any software.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although I don't tag my images, I recommend FastStone image viewer. It's free and has many features, I'm sure it can do something as simple as what you want........

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Although I don't tag my images, I recommend FastStone image viewer. It's free and has many features, I'm sure it can do something as simple as what you want........

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    Yes. Good program. I also use:

http://www.photome.de/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, I'll check these two out.
    One other question. I'm pretty sure these tags are all standard like mp3 tags would be but just want to be certain.... Whatever program I choose to use the tags will be universally recognized but everything else, correct?
    If I want to find all of the pictures of my 'daughter' at the 'beach' any program will be able to search this metadata no matter what program I used to tag them, right?

Oh yeah, one other thing.... so let's say when this is done and I need to search my photos.... I'm sure I wont remember exactly how I chose to tag everything.... will the program scan my photo library and keep a database and then give me a list of all of the tags to choose from so I can do a search?

I'm assuming this is how the whole concept of photo tagging is supposed to work....

>>>EDIT... don't see anyway to add metadata in FastStone... it supports tagging but we seem to have different definitions of the word. Tagging in this program from what I can tell simply means tagging 'selecting' files in the program itself so they can all be selected easily for batch renaming, comparing, slideshow, moving, copying and other features.
    Nowhere can I find adding metadata in the program or the manual.
    Last edited by lordhutt; 26th Dec 2013 at 14:45.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Best I can do is suggest you experiment with these, as the perfect 'tagger' is the one you discover is the one best suits you:

http://www.xnview.com/en/
    http://daminion.net/
    http://free.zoner.com/comparison.asp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't mind a soul-less mega-corp (Google) there is also Picasa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picasa
    Quote Quote  
  7. I realize the thread is years old, but you can also try my software www.mediusgenius.com

It's free and can sort thousands of files easily.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so resurrecting my years old thread... with reasons not important to the discussion I've never actually got around to doing this.

My main concern at the moment is people tagging.
    I was simply going to use Windows Photo Gallery... free and basically easy to use.

When I first ran it and pointed it to my photo library it was shooting up matching faces 20-30 at a clip...I'd identify... it would give me more... new faces/new names etc.

Of the approx. 6000 photos I have the bulk of them contain mainly about 50 people... most of whom I already identified.
    After I got so far Photo Gallery isn't giving me all the suggestions anymore.... although it has nearly 5000 detected faces that are not tagged.
    I was under the impression that the more I identified the better the software would get at finding others.

Is there something I am missing to get this thing to keep auto identifying people or there a better software option? Not concerned if its free or not... just something that will work well and do a more thorough job.

I'd prefer not to have to manually go through 5000 thumbnails selecting and tagging... I know it will never get every single one and manual work will be necessary but there is not reason it shouldn't be detecting more matches...

Once I get the face tagging done this project is basically kicked in the ass... adding descriptive tags is simple.

Google Photos... formally Picasa seems to want you to upload your photos and all that cloud garbage. I don't want anything like this. I want this all local on my PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MdosS View Post
    FastStone
    Don't see anything in the description about facial recognition or people tagging...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check this:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	42265  

Quote Quote  
  11. I use Lightroom CC. works out £10 a month with Photoshop, the facial recognition is pretty good.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Assuming you really mean "Best." Lightroom is the way to go.

It takes a while to get comfortable with (it did for me anyway) but you keep on discovering more capabilities and better ways to work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wondercrew View Post
    I don't know anything easier to use than photoshop
    Bumping a 4-year-old thread to add ... nothing?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As long as Picasa still works in Windows 11, that should see me out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So if I've used Windows Photo Gallery to for facial recognition and people tagging over the last few years and want to switch to Lightroom is there any way to import this data to Lightroom?
    Lightroom recognizes regular tags but none of the people tags. I really wouldn't want to have to have Lightroom learn people for 6000+ photos when it's already done.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I love to edit images in MS picture manager, especially resizing is the best part of it.

is there MS picture manager anymore in W11 ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wariic View Post
    I love to edit images in MS picture manager, especially resizing is the best part of it.

is there MS picture manager anymore in W11 ?
    currently yes
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The thread that never ends... well, since I posted in July 2021 I've yet to change from the very old and unsupported Photo Gallery. Just haven't kept up on my tagging.
    How exactly does 'people tagging' or 'facial recognition' work as far as the tags are concerned?
    Aside from a proprietary way to have a 'people tag' like Photo Gallery seems to use ... is there any universal way to tag a photo so it knows the tag is a person?

What I'm saying is when I use Photo Gallery for the facial recognition and it tags the people with what MS sees as a 'people tag'... example if you look at the details in Windows Explorer there are 'tags' and there are 'people tags'... None of the phone apps or other Windows software I've used recognizes these people tags. For them to do so I have to manually add regular tags named the same for the people in the photo. As you can see here... Image
    [Attachment 68066 - Click to enlarge]

The names are listed a second time in the regular tags...

So even if I switched to newer currently supported software like Lightroom for example... will LR do something similar? Or will it create a regular standard tag for the people it identifies?
    I use an app called F-stop on my Android and I want to be able to find people through tags.

>>>EDIT... I did find this https://jmoliver.wordpress.com/2017/02/19/converting-and-exporting-windows-photo-galle...y-people-tags/

Ok... so if I read that properly MS PG stores these people tags in it's own database instead of the standard way of including the info with the individual file.

This software is mentioned at the end of the article ... this may be what I'm looking for ... if so definitely an easier alternative than the method in the aricle

https://tagthatphoto.com/import-options/
    Last edited by lordhutt; 8th Dec 2022 at 19:33.
    Quote Quote