VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Wow, posting here has been a help the last few days.

I usually build my own PCs but the current one is about 10 years old.

Processor AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor * * * * * * *4.00 GHz
    Installed RAM 8.00 GB
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Video Card GForce GTX 660
    Mobo GA-990-FXA-UD5

I would love to build a whole new system but if possible, at first, I'd just like to swap out CPU and GPU for something better. I'm at that age where I can't be bothered for a whole new build unless absolutely necessary. I could get more RAM etc as well.

Any thoughts as to what I could do?
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You already have what is considered to be the best CPU for AMD Socket AM3+.

Something like a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti would be a little better than what you have and drivers are available for Windows 7 64-bit. PCIe 2.0 16x provides the same bandwidth as PCIe 3.0 8x so you won't get the best performance from a higher-end card designed for a PCIe 3.0 slot. Plus, video cards are selling at a premium now due to the current chip shortage.

More RAM would only make a small difference, if any, for most things. It might help with video editing.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would replace your system since the newer amd cpu's and motherboards with ram are way faster than what you have now.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I would replace your system since the newer amd cpu's and motherboards with ram are way faster than what you have now.
    That is probably the best advice if beavereater has the money and is OK with Windows 10.

I'm buying parts for a new Intel Comet Lake HTPC build now with no discrete video card. (I don't really need one for this build). I have noticed that sellers are profiteering on parts that are in short supply.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Maybe it's because I'm in Japan but there hasn't been much of a price change.

What is a good Mobo and CPU to start me off with a new build? I want to stay with AMD
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Asus prime 570-p motherboard with a ryzen 5600x cpu or 5800x for $150 more.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a big fan of AMD's APU processors, had a chance to use an older 2200g based system and was impressed with it's performance, the 3400g used to offer a great bang for the buck:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2020/02/05/shocking-linux-gaming-and-multi...d-ryzen-3400g/

Wait until August when the 5000g series of APUs are released:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16720/amd-ryzen-5000g-zen-3-apus-for-desktop-coming-august-5th

https://www.pcmag.com/news/starved-for-a-new-gpu-amd-debuts-two-ryzen-zen-3-apu-chips-...ith-integrated

My birthday is about a month after their release, I may have to treat myself.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The 5000g series aren't worth it if you are going to upgrade with a discrete video card,only if you dont need a video card and aren't into gaming.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The point is that with a 5000g series processor you will not need a discrete gpu and the 5000g igpu will be faster than a 9 year old gtx660.
    Quote Quote