Thread
  1. Good day,
    I have the following setup:
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Intel Core 2 @9500 Quad 2.83GHZ
    8GB
    MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Driver 441.87

Whenever I'm using Chrome Browser and then run MSI Afterburner, I noticed that that the GPU & Memory frequency and temperature are quite high as if I'm playing some game!
    GPU Clock: 1582MHZ
    Memory Clock: 4006MHZ
    Temperature: 59C

If I close Chrome, they drop down to normal idle settings.
    GPU Clock: 139MHZ
    Memory Clock: 405MHZ
    Temperature: 46C

This does not happen when I use Firefox or TOR and remains idle.

So is there something wrong here and what can I do?! It doesn't seem right going so high by just running Chorme?!
    Perhaps I have caught some malware, virus that uses my GPUs resources to mine crypto currency & bit coins?!

Any info would be highly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by retroborg; 28th Jun 2021 at 09:29.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    go into chrome settings and disable hardware acceleration and restart your browser and see if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Maybe you have a plugin that's mining bitcoin in the background.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    seriously, did you look at the numbers you posted?

Whenever I'm using Chrome Browser and then run MSI Afterburner, I noticed that that the GPU & Memory frequency and temperature are quite high as if I'm playing some game!

139MHZ vs 1582MHZ and 405MHZ vs 4006MHZ.

your card is idling and i'd guess the temp reading is wrong. there is no way a card at 139MHZ with mem clocked at 405MHZ is over 30c.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    go into chrome settings and disable hardware acceleration and restart your browser and see if that helps.
    OK, I just disabled hardware acceleration in the Chrome Advanced settings and now the GPU, Mem & Temp remain low same as in Firefox. So is that Hardware acceleration in Chrome even needed and where does it benefit overall? It seems to stress the card a lot when it's on!
    There is also another setting "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" which I also disabled but it doesn't seem to affect the GPU either way. I don't even know what's the point of having this enabled when you're not running Chrome?!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    seriously, did you look at the numbers you posted?

139MHZ vs 1582MHZ and 405MHZ vs 4006MHZ.

your card is idling and i'd guess the temp reading is wrong. there is no way a card at 139MHZ with mem clocked at 405MHZ is over 30c.

Yes! It was just a typo! I meant to write those in reverse!

Anyway, I just disabled hardware acceleration in the Chrome Advanced settings and now the GPU, Mem & Temp remain low same as in Firefox. So is that Hardware acceleration in Chrome even needed and where does it benefit overall? It seems to stress the card a lot when it's on!
    There is also another setting "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" which I also disabled but it doesn't seem to affect the GPU either way. I don't even know what's the point of having this enabled when you're not running Chrome?!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed means that chrome is still running in the background,this helps slower computers,same for the hardware acceleration,only needed for slower computers.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by retroborg View Post
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    OK, I just disabled hardware acceleration in the Chrome Advanced settings and now the GPU, Mem & Temp remain low same as in Firefox. So is that Hardware acceleration in Chrome even needed and where does it benefit overall? It seems to stress the card a lot when it's on!
    read here to see what hardware acceleration actually does - https://www.howtogeek.com/412738/how-to-turn-hardware-acceleration-on-and-off-in-chrome/
    Quote Quote