VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. My vote is power supply, whenever I have seen any system that would randomly crash, it was nearly always a power supply going bad.

But i must say, what the OP is doing with the ram is insane, it seems like he is installing the 16gb sticks in the wrong slots, i.e. side by side instead of alternating slots.

In order for ram to run in dual channel mode, it needs to be installed in every other slot, but this guy seems to have installed the 2x16gb sticks in slots right next to each other and then he added an 8gb stick in the 3rd slot.

He doesn't seem to realize that what he has done is slowed his system down, assuming he hasn't affected the stability. Unless he's using apps that go past the 32gb barrier, 2x16gn sticks in dual channel mode are going to be faster that 2x16gb+1x8gb sticks in single channel mode.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by adamf154 View Post
    im pretty sure its not the video card as its only a few months old, ive ran a few stress test programs for psu, gpu and cpu and didnt have any problems and it didnt crash, ive ran a couple of ram test prgrams and no problems, im hoping it might be the main graphics card slot, as im using the 2nd one from today and i can use that for now, without replacing anything, i think if it was the psu it would be crashing alot more and quicker when a game was being played
    what games are you playing ??
    and does your computer meet the recommended / minimum system requirements
    required to run the games.
    of course they do i wouldnt be playing games that didnt work properly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    My vote is power supply, whenever I have seen any system that would randomly crash, it was nearly always a power supply going bad.

But i must say, what the OP is doing with the ram is insane, it seems like he is installing the 16gb sticks in the wrong slots, i.e. side by side instead of alternating slots.

In order for ram to run in dual channel mode, it needs to be installed in every other slot, but this guy seems to have installed the 2x16gb sticks in slots right next to each other and then he added an 8gb stick in the 3rd slot.

He doesn't seem to realize that what he has done is slowed his system down, assuming he hasn't affected the stability. Unless he's using apps that go past the 32gb barrier, 2x16gn sticks in dual channel mode are going to be faster that 2x16gb+1x8gb sticks in single channel mode.
    the ram is in alternating slots, the pc wont load if its not in the right slots so i dont know why you think they are in the slots next to each other
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    When it comes down to diagnostics you ask yourself some logical questions and act on the honest answers. In this case I'll lead with a few.

1. When exactly did the issues start. When I first ran the games. When I installed the new memory etc.
    2. Did the games play ok before I installed the new memory ?
    3. What other, even some apparently inconsequential, change did I make to my system ?
    4. Removing the new memory and just using the old, is my system stable. ?
    5. Did I have issues before which I simply dismissed. ?
    6. Am I using the correct drivers for my hardware and not relying on the ones from a Windows install.

Yes. Some of the above ask the same Q. but in a different way.
    1. the issues started recently, the ram and graphics card have beein in since november
    2. the games that were crashing were started recently, ive played at least 5 games since the new ram and gpu were installed
    3. no other changes
    4. yes but it was all stable until a month or 2 ago
    5. no
    6. yes
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Pc's will load up even if the ram is side by side but will lose the dual channel mode,have you tried running just the single 8 gb ram stick to see if it still crashes?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. i tried the ram in side by side slots and the pc didnt load, i will be trying each ram stick in each slot to see if it crashes or not, but that could take weeks
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just try the 8gb ram in a slot that will load up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. The answers are useful but you have still elaborated.

7. Do these 'new' games play just with the old memory and no other issues.
    8. Does the system still crash simply by running Firefox (as before)

I guess that the old memory is no longer installed but from a diagnostic perspective it is useful to see 'what if' I only had that. Also if you read the topic I linked to my own issues were based on the fact that the different memory had different timings and the slower memory killed the system that was booted by the faster memory. The solution, for me, was to swap the sticks and boot from the slower memory. The one difference in my case that I have 4 sticks installed.

Yes. I am still focused on the memory but I do recall my dad's PC having PSU issues and, unfortunately, there is only one solution in that scenario.

But before I turn in.

9. Is your GPU receiving adequate power ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Ok. The answers are useful but you have still elaborated.

7. Do these 'new' games play just with the old memory and no other issues.
    8. Does the system still crash simply by running Firefox (as before)

I guess that the old memory is no longer installed but from a diagnostic perspective it is useful to see 'what if' I only had that. Also if you read the topic I linked to my own issues were based on the fact that the different memory had different timings and the slower memory killed the system that was booted by the faster memory. The solution, for me, was to swap the sticks and boot from the slower memory. The one difference in my case that I have 4 sticks installed.

Yes. I am still focused on the memory but I do recall my dad's PC having PSU issues and, unfortunately, there is only one solution in that scenario.

But before I turn in.

9. Is your GPU receiving adequate power ?
    i was blaming the games for the crashes and thinking it was a psu problem, (because ive had thet before but as soon as a game loaded the pc restarted but it didnt crash at any other time other than when i started a game but this might be a warning that its going faulty but its less than 2 years old surely im not needing a new one so soon) but then its crashed when the games arent even on

7. i dont know the new ram has been in since nov but other games have played without crashes
    8. if you mean does it crash when i start firefox then no that might have just been a coincidence
    9. yes the psu is 850 w and there is 8 slots that are filled by the power supply

everyone is blaming the ram or blaming me saying ive not got the ram in the right slots but it was all running fine since nov, every test ive done has been ok, im still thinking it might be the psu but i started this for other options just to check things out and it didnt behave like the last psu that was faulty, but i have a 750w psu in another pc that hasnt been used as much so if it crashes again in the next few days/weeks while gaming or not, ill put that in and try it for a few weeks and see what happens

out of interest ive also ran tests on the ssd's and they are all fine
    Last edited by adamf154; 20th Apr 2021 at 19:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Trouble is that you now contradict the answers to the Q.'s

Now you state you had issues >> crashes upon loading. So things have not has been as 'rosey' as you have made them out to be.

I did not ask how many of the PSU slots were occupied. I asked if your GPU is receiving adequate power. My GPU has a power socket. It is not occupied yet I would imagine that if I was using the card to it's potential it requires power.

But, equally, overload the PSU and you create problems.
    Quote Quote  
  11. im not contradicting myself if you read it properly you will see that i have had psu problems before and it crashed when a game started, you seriously dont think that, that is the same psu, if it was crashing when a game loaded i wouldnt be able to play any games just now and i did state its not acting like the last faulty psu i had when it crashed upon loading a game

no you didnt ask how many slots were occupied but i told you anyway, so you couldnt blame the gpu or me for there not being enough power, on one hand i can play a game for a few hours before it crashes and that could overload it, on the other hand it has crashed with very litttle being done on the pc

like i say im going to try my other psu if it crashes again and ill know if the other one doesnt crash when im playing a game or doesnt just crash for weeks then ill buy a new psu, it could just be after 2 years its starting to fail, i hoped i would get longer out of it, its an arctic blue 850w but ill not be buying that make again if this is faulty already, im not sure if the more expensive ones are any better and last longer than what i have
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A psu is only as good as it has enough amperage to power up devices,is your psu a quality make such as seasonic,corsair or evga?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by adamf154 View Post
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    My vote is power supply, whenever I have seen any system that would randomly crash, it was nearly always a power supply going bad.

the ram is in alternating slots, the pc wont load if its not in the right slots so i dont know why you think they are in the slots next to each other
    I concluded they were in side by side slots because you literally said:

ram is 2x16gb in first 2 slots and an 8gb in one of the other slots
    However you have since added:

i tried the ram in side by side slots and the pc didnt load
    This is not normal behavior, a pc should boot, with the only difference being that the ram runs in single channel mode instead of dual channel.

After this revelation, I think it may be your motherboard.

One question, why did you decide to add an additional 8gb stick to the 32gb you already have? Also, is all the ram dual bank, single bank or a combination?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is unclear to me if your whole pc crashes (in the since of complete failure, cut out or blue screens)
    Or is it just a application (your game in this case) that crashes and just that application cuts out

In last case i would blame the game, but a combo of cpu/ram could also be possible

In the first case i would suspect the whole hardware and it could be many things. I would start with memtest and let it run overnight and let it test all of your ram.
    If that is ok do a stresstest with prime95 https://www.mersenne.org/download/ But make sure that your cpu cooling is functioning at full capacity!
    If that passes without any faults a hardware faillure is not very likely
    Quote Quote  
  15. Some years ago i worked in a computer repair store, we always used the same procedure to pin down such problems.

Stress test:
    https://www.jam-software.com/heavyload

Mem test and some other tests (you can use usb stick instead of cd):
    https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

That said, if it was a software problem, it would most likely cause a bluescreen and collect a dump instead of just turn off. Also memory related stuff typically caused more a bluescreen than turn off.

Turning off was mostly caused by overheated CPU, e.g. after some years operation, the cpu fan collected so much dust inside the motor that it got a little bit harder to turn as if it was new, causing less colling. Memory faults was next (they were always detected using memtest) but these days they are far less common than 10 years ago. If that was not the case, changing the psu typically solved it. Last but not least in some really rare cases, we needed to change the mainboard, like in 1 o 1000 cases.
    Quote Quote  
  16. ive ran memtest then i ran prime95 overnight and there were no problems with either, but i was running occt on the power check and the pc restarted, so i done it again and the pc restarted again, so im thinking as i first thought its probably the psu, so im going to put another one in from my other pc and see how that runs with occt and playing games and if it all works fine ill have a definitive answer, ive decided not to buy the same one again an artic blue 850w, ill try a different make cause this one isnt 2 years old yet and im not gaming everyday and every night or doing anything that would put alot of stress on the pc, so im thinking it should be lasting longer

Update

well that didnt work, effing grahpics card needs 8 pins and doesnt work with 6, and my other psu only has a 6 pin so it didnt work at all and ryzen doesnt have onboard graphics looks like im going to have to buy a new psu whether i like it or not and whether its a psu problem or not, or i might get a 6 pin to 8 pin extension (been some bad reviews about them burning and starting a fire so unsure whether to get one or not or to just get a new psu) and at least i can get it checked with a different psu
    Last edited by adamf154; 22nd Apr 2021 at 11:31.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's usually a separate 2 pin plug that can be added with the 6 pin plug,if not then the psu isn't that good.
    Quote Quote  
  18. so i finally got round to buying a new psu, but i wish id just kept the old one, as the games are still crashing with the new psu, one game is crashing everytime i put it on and start to play and the other game doesnt crash so quick but took over an hour before it crashed

so i ran all the stress tests before and the only thing that crashed the pc was occt, so my plan now is to check both games out on my other pc, the minimum reqs for both games are am3 cpus, so my other cpu is also am4, it might not be pretty but it will let me see if it is crashing on that pc, i will also then use my old graphics card which should just be able to play the games aswell and see if there is any crashing, if not i will put the ryzen 7 on that motherboard and then try it and see and then eventually ill put the newer graphics card on and that should tell me if there is any problems and i will also try another game on this pc and see if that crashes at any point
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i finally got round to buying a new psu, but i wish id just kept the old one, as the games are still crashing with the new psu, one game is crashing everytime i put it on and start to play and the other game doesnt crash so quick but took over an hour before it crashed

so i ran all the stress tests before and the only thing that crashed the pc was occt, so my plan now is to check both games out on my other pc, the minimum reqs for both games are am3 cpus, so my other cpu is also am4, it might not be pretty but it will let me see if it is crashing on that pc, i will also then use my old graphics card which should just be able to play the games aswell and see if there is any crashing, if not i will put the ryzen 7 on that motherboard and then try it and see and then eventually ill put the newer graphics card on and that should tell me if there is any problems and i will also try another game on this pc and see if that crashes at any point
    what games are you playing that are causing your computer to crash ??
    maybe try googling the games to find out what is causing them to crash.
    Quote Quote  
  20. i done that when they first crashed, both games have reported crashes and other stuff, but im not sure if they have been restarting the whole pc or just crashing to desktop for others, i thought it might have been the games when i was having problems a few weeks ago but thought both games crashing the exact same way is prob some kind of hardware problem but my mind turned to "it could def be the games", earlier when it crashed first time back trying the games with a new psu but im going to do what i typed above with the other pc over the weekend, and ill try a different game on this pc and if that crashes, then it has to be a hardware prob, so hopefully ill will have some kind of definitive answer by the end of the weekend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you not simply answer the Q's raised ?

The question was "What games are you playing"

But, again, this is a red herring given that you earlier stated that a simple invocation of a web browser caused a system crash. No games running then. Yes or No ?

Sorry but you are still throwing dice. You are not doing an orderly diagnostic process by blaming software over hardware. Ask your self just why OCCT, by way of your latest info, crashes. Does that not provide you with a log that highlights the point of the crash ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i done that when they first crashed, both games have reported crashes and other stuff, but im not sure if they have been restarting the whole pc or just crashing to desktop for others, i thought it might have been the games when i was having problems a few weeks ago but thought both games crashing the exact same way is prob some kind of hardware problem but my mind turned to "it could def be the games", earlier when it crashed first time back trying the games with a new psu but im going to do what i typed above with the other pc over the weekend, and ill try a different game on this pc and if that crashes, then it has to be a hardware prob, so hopefully ill will have some kind of definitive answer by the end of the weekend
    have you tried viewing the windows crash logs ?? - https://www.supereasy.com/how-to-view-crash-logs-in-windows-10/
    maybe there's something there that might help.
    Quote Quote  
  23. i think occt only produces an output file if you pay for the professional version, im only using the free version but i will try that again over the weekend with the new power supply and see if it still crashes

event logs are error 41 and just says the system had rebooted without cleanly shutting down first, this error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed or lost power unexpextedly
    Quote Quote  
  24. occt has just crashed again on the power section, after about 30 mins, im going to change over the graphics card and see if everything still crashes before i start messing around checking stuff on the other pc
    Quote Quote  
  25. so i changed the graphics card, and i have been playing one of the games for the last hour without any problem, so it must the be the graphics card that is faulty and causing the games to crash, and that pisses me off as its only 6 months old, ill do some checks with occt aswell and just see what happens
    Quote Quote