VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Accidentally I recorded the Super Bowl on my DVR on the SD Fox channel instead of the HD one. I really want to see the original full HD broadcast with commercials and all, just like if I had recorded the right one. I was able to get straight from someone else's DVR the full 5.1 Dolby MPEG recording of the game, uncompressed. It is the same as if I had recorded it, but now I need to figure out a way to get it onto my TV/receiver. I burned it onto a Blu-Ray, and it's the same quality as if I had recorded it properly, but there is one problem.

There are no chapters on the Blu-Ray. There would not be chapters on a live broadcast either, but with my DVR remote I can skip, etc. The Blu-Ray player just lets me scrub. Is there a way I can add chapters to the .mpg file and re-burn the disc, while maintaining the same/not altering the video quality and surround sound?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on if your Blu ray player will handle a mkv file on a disc (as data) You could use MakeMKV to make a MKV file of the Blu-ray disc and then use MKV Chapterizer to add chapters every 'n' minutes. Otherwise you will need to re-author the Blu-ray adding chapters this time.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Depending on if your Blu ray player will handle a mkv file on a disc (as data) You could use MakeMKV to make a MKV file of the Blu-ray disc and then use MKV Chapterizer to add chapters every 'n' minutes. Otherwise you will need to re-author the Blu-ray adding chapters this time.
    I just tried that now and the blu ray player won't play it. It says "the file is either corrupted or not supported." This is weird because the player has worked with other MKV files before. When I burned the .mpg file to a blu-ray disc, it played that perfectly. Is there any way to add chapters to the mpeg itself?

I've tried searching this online, but all the results are stuck in like 2006 since people don't use mpeg files anymore, with the exception of cable companies.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. So I was able to figure it out..by converting the .mpg to a Blu-Ray ISO with tsMuxer, also adding the chapters with that program. Then I burn the ISO and it plays great. The only problem is later on in the video, the audio gets out of sync. I'm not sure exactly why since the .mpg is perfect, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's because tsMuxer detects the video as being 59.94 FPS, when it reality it is the exact NTSC standard (60,000/1001) which equates to about 59.94005994005994. It's very minor, but over a long recording the rounding eventually gets the audio out of sync.

I'm not sure if that would cause it, or how to fix it, but I'm almost there to getting this thing done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The longterm solution is to ditch disc playback completely and go for a NAS without expandable storage and a media player capable of 4K material to future proof a bit. I use a Popcorn A-500 media player.https://www.cloudmedia.com/?product=a-500 Cinavia is not an issue either which could be a problem with disc playback
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote