VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys.

So I've used Vidcover to convert some DVD rips into MKV files, and Vidcoder transferred the multiple audio tracks and subtitles just fine.

However, when I use Avidemux to try to chop the episodes up into individual files, the multiple audio tracks transfer, but the subtitles do not.

Any reason why this might be? I can't find any information inside Avidemux about subtitles other than the filter for hardcoding them, and filters aren't available when you copy the video stream.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    what is your workflow? Set A set B convert then cut these frames. Set B convert cut frames and so on. Try do not delete encoded parts. I honestly don't know, never needed this. But since subtitles are converted to SSA/ASS format, it is somehow time depend. So I as well as you would expect that save parts of movie will hardcoded subtitles that are related to those times also. When deleting frames I expect it burned it in wrong way. If it hardcoded nothing I would try to contact developer, because it is big bug.
    I doubt anyone ever try this. But probably someone gives you better answer.

Just tested it times in ssa are same as in srt, but when encoding just part of video subtitles are there but very very late.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I chop the videos up using the A/B markers, navigating by keyframes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just noticed that avidemux converted is somehow wrong from srt to ssa because playing those subtitles Are also late in original video. So if you have not problem with timing it can save part of video with subtitles.

Edit: so do not delete (if you do it) already encoded part.
    Converted srt to aas in subtitle edit, saved part of video in middle and timing and everything is o.k. Just sure it support srt convert it to ssa/aas internaly or best is to directly import aas subtitles. No timing error.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 9th Sep 2018 at 18:51. Reason: Edit^Edit
    Quote Quote  
  5. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Just to be clear about what my problem is, the chopped up videos do not even have a subtitle track to choose from.

Full video:

Video after chopping in Avidemux:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have to go, but what types of subtitles are you try to .... Oh I see. Yes avidemux is only able to hardcode subtitles. I think it is normal behaviour in avidemux that they will not survive.. So use mkvtoolnix for this. Check times/frames (I) where to cut and it will be o.k.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only time it can transfer subtitle's is if there embedded as a closed caption. Example is m2ts captures to another m2ts file.only reason it works is because its really part of the video stream so avidemux is oblivious to it. To split and keep everything use mkvtoolnix and select split after timecodes separated by a semicolon or by chapter separated by a semicolon. I do the later on makeMKV rips of disc that have all the titles in 1 title.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote