VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings, all! Based on the excellent advice of someone in this forum, I found an Archer Video Enhancer/Stabilizer on Ebay, and its ability to wipe away snowy static or video noise from old tapes would be completely life-changing if it weren't for one limitation that I can't figure out how to get around, and that is this:

There is a knob called "Delay" and as you turn it, it does a vertical-wipe split-screen that shows the original footage's junk on the right and the refined cleaned-up video on the left of the wipe-line. The problem is that the on-screen wipe line stops about 85% to the end when the knob is turned completely counter-clockwise to its limit. I have reasoned that this phenomenon is likely due to the fact that 16:9 wasn't around when this machine was invented, and it's probably limiting itself to the horizontal limits of 4:3 - but! I have a Video8 VCR plugged into the inputs (and, of course, I can't choose resolution on the VCR, naturally the footage is 4:3) .. Though, when played on a TV with the resolution changed to 4:3 it does this as well -- Certainly that couldn't be an intentional function of the machine, I presume the intent is for the wipe to go all the way to the edge of the screen. (By the way, this machine (although from the mid-80s) was in complete mint condition from the seller, so I don't think it's damaged.

If anyone has any insight as to how to see the "cleaned up effect" on the entire screen with the "delay" wipe all the way to the left, I'd be much obliged!

[Attachment 64833 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	archerline.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	64832  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This 13-year-old VWestlife YT video seems to show the same effect on his bottom unit? It starts out fine. Then at 4:52 and 4:55 it looks like he's got it turned full left again, but the splitscreen is stuck in about the same spot as your photo.

Schematic on Reddit, if it helps. (Don't know whether this matches your model.)

Possibly contact cleaner is all that you need, like when 12voltvids fixed my proc amp.

You probably should have posted this in Capturing or General. The Video Conversion subforum (discussion of digital file conversion) may not be monitored by the people who would know the answer to your question.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the capturing forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote