VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMzT3bajoPs

I have been looking at a bunch of videos related to the new M1 powered Macs, and everyone one of them has been praising them. But, it's easy to be cynical and say that Apple is paying for these reviews, until I ran across this video, where this guy tests the new M1 Mac with some really tough video editing and the results are impressive, especially when he shows a time line playing smoothly on the $1300 Mac M1 with 8Gb of ram and integrated graphics (these systems use unified memory for both the cpu and gpu) that can't play smoothly on his 12 core Mac, with 192 Gb of ram and a $2800 graphics card, a system he says cost him 15 grand.

While I don't expect to buy a Mac anytime soon, I am keeping my eye on these new Arm based systems because I assume Nvidia will probably bring their own ARM based desktop cpu to market soon and that should be exciting.
    Quote Quote  
  2. waoooo It's just a beast when editing and render Video. Should I buy it to replace my destop 8gb RAM, GTX 1070Ti, 500 gb SSD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, but I'm not replacing all my software ($$$) just for a new platform. It already works pretty good as is.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Look how smooth my timeline is!" tells me almost nothing.

"I can save 20 seconds!" doesn't sway me much. The way systems work, processing time can vary on an actual encoded clip. Fast, slow, fast, slow. What matters is the end time to an actual video.

A "video speed test" tells me nothing, that's just theory and not practical application.

What this video shows is that it could be faster. Or it could just be BS.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. The Apple that took great pains to make the transition from Motorola to Power PC (then Power PC to Intel) as smooth as possible no longer exists. The current incarnation of Apple has zero interest or patience with legacy concerns, so I expect these new ARM Macs to have excellent performance with new native apps at the cost of breaking just about anything and everything we currently use. Its gonna be brutal and costly: at least in the early days, only paid professionals or well-heeled enthusiasts will find the improved performance worth junking their carefully configured existing software setups.

Unlike previous CPU migrations, this one is more about Apple's self interest than maintaining Mac platform viability or providing its user base with tangible benefits. In the long run, ARM will probably be great: short term I'm not queuing up for one any time soon. Apple's entire attitude toward Mac (and the professionals who utilize them) has been less than productive in recent years.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Yeah, but I'm not replacing all my software ($$$) just for a new platform. It already works pretty good as is.
    I agree, but if one where planning on a new build with the sole purpose of video editing, I think it would smart to seriously consider one of these systems than a Windows x86 based build.

I can't wait to see what these will do:

https://www.imore.com/32-core-apple-m1-successor-reportedly-set-imac-mac-pro-next-year

https://www.engadget.com/apple-silicon-mac-cpu-roadmap-leak-142247372.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/275668/riding-on-the-success-of-the-m1-apple-readies-32-co...-high-end-macs

So much for all the bunk that Apple had abandoned the professional video editing market.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    "Look how smooth my timeline is!" tells me almost nothing.
    I beg to differ, over the years of editing video I have come to realize that the tests that matter the most are decoding and timeline because those are the interactive tests where a person can actually notice the difference.

Things like 3d rendering, video encoding, video rendering and similar activities, even a 3-fold increase in performance most people will not notice, because they don't sit there and watch as the video is being rendered, they will take a break, put in the background and continue something else or take a nap.

But decoding and more importantly a smooth timeline, especially when you have a lot of filters, that you will "feel", if a video won't play back smoothly you will notice. On top of that the energy efficiency of these new systems is astonishing, in one test the whole system used just 2.5W while encoding, that's crazy.

Personally, if I wanted a system for professional video, I would pickup an M1.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    The Apple that took great pains to make the transition from Motorola to Power PC (then Power PC to Intel) as smooth as possible no longer exists. The current incarnation of Apple has zero interest or patience with legacy concerns, so I expect these new ARM Macs to have excellent performance with new native apps at the cost of breaking just about anything and everything we currently use. Its gonna be brutal and costly: at least in the early days, only paid professionals or well-heeled enthusiasts will find the improved performance worth junking their carefully configured existing software setups.

Unlike previous CPU migrations, this one is more about Apple's self interest than maintaining Mac platform viability or providing its user base with tangible benefits. In the long run, ARM will probably be great: short term I'm not queuing up for one any time soon. Apple's entire attitude toward Mac (and the professionals who utilize them) has been less than productive in recent years.
    I don't know what you base this view on, everything I see about Rosetta performance on these M1's says the opposite.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    So much for all the bunk that Apple had abandoned the professional video editing market.
    You often take the contrarian view on things.

Apple quit giving a rat's ass about professional video production at least a decade ago. They do FCP and ... nothing else.

From all past experiences, new OS are just rolled out without giving any consideration to video uses. Windows OS is sadly the same now, but there is at least more continuity.

Not that Mac ever did much for professional video anyway. If you were just shooting HD, then editing in FCP, you're happy. If you want to do anything else, you're screwed. Almost no software or hardware exists outside of tiny slices of the video world.

These days, Apple mostly cares about iPhone videos and Youtube editors. That's where the money is.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote