VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Posted earlier about problem with Open Shot which I never could get to work so I gave up on it. I now have a copy of Pinnacle Studio 18 Ultimate and it won't load. It requires a DirectX update before loading the software and will not load this update. I checked and I have DirectX version 12. My machine is 64 bit and the software is 64 bit. This is getting really frustrating that I can't get a single video editing program to function on my machine which isn't that old. Any help?

Hardware: HP Pavilion Slimline 400 PC/AMD E1-2500/4GB DDR3/500GB HD/AMD Radeon HD 8240 Graphics

System worked flawlessly with Open Shot earlier this year - only changes were regular Windows 10 updates.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well pinnacle studio 18 is old and outdated. they are up to version 21. and i'd guess the reason no editing software will run on your laptop is that it is too low end. the hd 8240 is bottom of the barrel, an extremely useless built in video chip.

sorry
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    well pinnacle studio 18 is old and outdated. they are up to version 21. and i'd guess the reason no editing software will run on your laptop is that it is too low end. the hd 8240 is bottom of the barrel, an extremely useless built in video chip.

sorry
    Not a laptop - it's a desktop that's only a couple years old. The Open Shot worked flawlessly on it last summer - the only thing different is some regular Windows updates. A friend is running Pinnacle 18 on an older 32 bit machine and it works fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    pinnacle 18 may want the old directx 9 that's not included in win10. you may be able to get it from microsoft downloads and install it. try here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

it's not the age but the chip itself that is not powerful enough

[Attachment 44006 - Click to enlarge]
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A quick 'Google' shows that this prog will run under Win 10 sic DirectX 12.

There exists a patch to make it run somewhat smoother but since the program is not even installed then that is hardly the fix at present.

The issue appear to revolve around the Win 10 updates. It may well be necessary to clean your HD and reinstall the OS. There should be some support in that direction from HP.

The other thing, dare I add, is that you mention 'copy' of the program. Since it is stated that the program must be registered to download then if that 'copy' is not actually official then it will never install. And Forum rules prevent further discussion.

Still a fresh install of Win 10 may allow you to use that earlier program and those fixes you applied to get another program to run should not be applied.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Your computer just isn't powerful enough for video editing. It only has a dual core processor and you need a multicore processor like an i5 or i7. Though you have 4gb RAM, even Open Shot recommends 16gb. You also need a graphics card with at least 2gb VRAM, but the more the better.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote