VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to denoise and color correct very bad vhs tape transfer from circa 1988. Its 720x576p 50fps rgb. I don't have the original captured source which was recorded with vdub as rgb lagarith file so I decided to not use avisynth but vdub for neat video then ccd for color noise, then bcc drop out fixer in premiere and color correct with lumetri. What i noticed while denoising the neat (ver 4,8) it alternates the original color on some spots and leaves some bad color blips ( on face and hands especially) no matter the settings in neat, ccd corrects some of those spills but the hands and face are most evident.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	test.png
Views:	108
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	54590  

Quote Quote  
  2. Independently of Neat, I have encountered the issue of greenish patches on skin tones.
    If anyone knows how to get rid of this nasty artefact, I would be interested.

Grayscale (no color) does solve the issue, but I doubt it is helpful to the OP.
    Maybe color substitution could solve it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Frankly, I'm impressed you even got it looking like how you did with all the purple/blue/pink color in the picture. I would have no idea how to do that well, even with the avisynth knowledge I have. Honestly, I think taking it as you managed to get it, as better than the source, would be a good call. While not perfect, it certainly looks watchable now.

Without avisynth to assist, the only thing I could think of to clean leftover off colors would be photoshop each individual video frame, and then put all the individual lossless .PNG frames back together as a video. Be prepared to spend tons of hours doing it though.
    Maybe there's a video editor that will allow you to do this manually in the software kind of like fixing it in photoshop. If there is, I'm not sure what software that would be.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 22nd Aug 2020 at 06:52.
    Quote Quote  
  4. On this frame, it's mostly from overdenoising the red channel and brightening the green.

Part of those smudges in the red channel are actually a large part of skin tones for the hand and the guy's face in the back. The red channel is overdenoised/blurred, and the brightness of the green has been bumped up. Instead of a hand it looks like a blob of green, because the edges are blurred away in all channels, and there is a green imbalance (you need some of that red smudge back) . Try lowering the red channel denoising strength, or use something else

Blue channel looks blown and reconstructed from the red and green. I wonder if some of the "AI/deep learning" methods can help with a better channel fix ? Similar to some of the recolorization efforts like deoldify except for 1 channel , given 2 others
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rgb.png
Views:	103
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	54604  

Quote Quote  
  5. Part of those smudges in the red channel are actually a large part of skin tones for the hand and the guy's face in the back. The red channel is overdenoised/blurred, and the brightness of the green has been bumped up. Instead of a hand it looks like a blob of green, because the edges are blurred away in all channels, and there is a green imbalance (you need some of that red smudge back) . Try lowering the red channel denoising strength, or use something else
    I will try that as soon as a get back home tomorrow ( I don't have the pc with me) definitely the original video is pile of mess . I will also post the video of the original so someone with more knowledge will jump with some better method than mine. This Ai thing is getting more and more interesting but I noticed that on home made videos like mine (with lot of noise and errors it emphasizes more instead of eliminate it )
    Quote Quote