VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, i've been fiddling the last few days with converting a DTS track from a NTSC movie (29,970) to mux with my PAL movie (25,000).

I'm doing this because the PAL videosource is much better quality, while the DTS track of the NTSC version is much better than the PAL audiotrack. In addition i need it to be pal (would be easy to just convert video to NTSC) because my TV doesnt display NTSC correctly

The total lenght difference over approx 2 hours is about 5 minutes. (ntsc version 5 mins longer)

Here's what ive done so far:
    DTS >TransGUI > 6mono wavs
    Soundforge [Time Stretch] > cut every wav down to the lenght of the pal movie.
    SurCode > DTS file
    Rejig > Mux to dvd

The thing is , its still not 100% in sync
    In the beginning of the movie the audio comes to early, on the end the audio is about 4-5 seconds late. Seems like i did not "shrink" the audio enough.

My question is, is there some sort of "universal" way to calculate the needed amount of "shrinkage" ? Be it in percentage, frames, time, doesnt matter, soundforge has enough options for this.

Thanks for reading this and maybe helping me out
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

You could use the 23976->25000 NTSC to PAL preset in Besweet on the WAV files. Yes, there's a universal percentage, and doing what you did wasn't correct.

25000/23976=1.042709...=104.2709%

You still might have to adjust the delay when authoring, but assuming the actual number of frames of the 2 versions of the movie is identical, you should be able to synch them up.

Also, if you have the right decoders installed, you should be able to decode the DTS to 6 mono WAV files in BeSweet, and do the stretch at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, thanks for helping, the thing is, the original NTSC is true ntsc: 29,970 FPS

I've tried to go from DTS to WAV in Besweet (with the azidts plugin etc) with the 29,970 > 25,000 preset. Unfortunately Besweet screws this up, it changes the "pitch" too, which makes everything sound very slow.

EDIT
    If that's true.. it would be 25000/29970 = ~0.83, meaning that i would have to cut it down to 83 % . That would pretty much destroy the soundtrack i'm affraid

But then again, the lenght difference is only about 5 mins over 2 hours, so 83% wouldnt be right anyway..
    /confused
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've tried to go from DTS to WAV in Besweet (with the azidts plugin etc) with the 29,970 > 25,000 preset. Unfortunately Besweet screws this up, it changes the "pitch" too, which makes everything sound very slow.

Just do what I said and you should be OK. You said there's a 5 minute difference in the lengths. So, even if the frame counts don't match up (although nothing you've said yet convinces me of that), they did speed it up by the 104+%. I said nothing about 29970->25000.

Everything else you've tried so far was wrong. What have you got to lose?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol i'm not ignoring you mate, really apreciate the help, but every tool i tested says the framerate is 29,970. But you're probably right, im going to try it out.
    So i reckon that conversion you suggested would effectively shrink the file from 104% to 100%?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, I can't be positive unless I have both the NTSC and PAL versions of the DVD to examine, and giving advice from 12,000 miles (20,000 KM) away can be risky, but based on a lot of past experience, if you do it the way I suggested in my first post, yes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks
    I'll try it tonight as soon as im home.
    Quote Quote