VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I have been using a dual boot desktop with 32 bit Windows 7 and Linux [Lubuntu] - Linux for online stuff, Windows 7 offline for my regular programs.
    Recently my old computer died so I bought an inexpensive Intel duo core E6500 2,93 GHz with a genuine Windows 7 64 bit install which I may format to install Windows 7 Pro and Lubuntu

I did run Windows Update on this Intel machine and found 131 Updates of about 1.1 GB and another 67 recommended updates.
    Last Update was 6/23/2017
    Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 6/23/2017

System info shows Service Pack 1 installed - but Updates shows a small SP1 update of 9.1 MB

Since most of these updates are Security related, will my system be any less stable or have any performance issues if I ignore all these updates?

With only 4 GB of RAM is there any benefit of using Windows 7 64 bit?

TIA,
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm still using win7 64 Service pack 1 with 4GB of ram on one of my laptops. I have been unable to do any recent updates for some unknown reason. Yes, some programs have problems if you no longer get updates. Especially Microsoft programs like OneDrive which cease to work correctly. It no longer syncs with the cloud and each file has to be uploaded manually and there doesn't seem to be a fix for that issue. Also have issues with Readiris programs (Scan and OCR) which no longer can be updated for some reason. (Downloads update but doesn't install)
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wiseant View Post
    Since most of these updates are Security related, will my system be any less stable or have any performance issues if I ignore all these updates?
    Recent security updates, like the Intel Spectre patch, will actually slow your system down. According to Intel, it slows systems down by 2% to 14%. (Source: https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-offers-security-issue-update/ ).

I have offline systems and only install compatibly and stability updates.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @TreeTops

Thanks for the info. The main reason I stopped using Windows 7 online is because I had great difficulty getting and installing updates when Microsoft was rolling out Windows 10 and it looked like some Security Updates may have been "intrusive"
    The only Microsoft software I am running is Office 2003 and .NET Framework 4 that I need for Bullzip PDF Printer

@Vidd
    Thanks for the link.
    How would I determine which updates are "compatibly and stability updates" without reading through all 131 Updates? Would the small SP 1 9.1 MB update be one of these?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and I have installed all available updates as they come on-line. I also run Never10 https://www.grc.com/never10.htm to prevent Windows from trying to "update" to Windows 10, which I don't want on this particular machine. I'll be building a new machine later this year and it will have 10 installed now that it has matured somewhat. I updated my RAM from from 4GB to 16 GB when I updated to the 64 bit version. A big difference for some of my programs and the general responsiveness. I also changed to a Hybrid drive so start up is much improved...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I run Windows 7 32-bit as a virtual machine on Manjaro Linux, so I can use two Windows applications for which there is no Linux equivalent. Win 7 is not allowed to connect to the internet, data can be passed back and forth via a shared folder. No Widows security or update problems at all!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Acording to this pdf your cpu will not receive spectre and meltdown microcode patches, so i don't think it is wise to use it.
    https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/microcode-update-guidance.pdf. (CTRL f for E6500)

And support for Windows 7 is ended a long time ago, and the extended support last only until 2020.

So if you have to use windows 7 do it only offline, and use it only for the programs that you need. Use a up to date linux-distro for important stuff. Or even better find a equivalent for the windows programs that runs on linux.

I used to use Windows but now i almost only use linuxmint. The only program that i have to use Windows for is my navigation

4GB ram is for Windows 64bit low, but i wouldn't use a 32bit version because 32bit is on it's way out
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would search around for some more RAM, even used, for that PC. W7 64 will run a lot better with 8GB minimum RAM.
    And I have seen performance improvements with W7 64 over W7 32 with several programs.

With 4GB RAM, some may be used by your video card, so you may not have access to the full 4GB.

I have seen some W7 64 PCs sold with 2GB RAM, definitely a bad idea.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    Only going to use Windows 7 offline so I'll ignore all the security updates. Looks like 4 GB RAM is the minimum for 64-bit - only paid $50 for this machine - only has two RAM slots - don't want to spend the money to upgrade to 8 GB RAM. Did a short test with VirtualDub2 - the 64 bit was about 3% faster than the 32 bit.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by wiseant View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    Only going to use Windows 7 offline so I'll ignore all the security updates. Looks like 4 GB RAM is the minimum for 64-bit - only paid $50 for this machine - only has two RAM slots - don't want to spend the money to upgrade to 8 GB RAM. Did a short test with VirtualDub2 - the 64 bit was about 3% faster than the 32 bit.
    64 bit Windows allow to go over 2GB per application so i would advise to go for 64 bit - penalty should be marginal but there is high chance that you will be able to use all 4GB currently owned (i'm almost sure that you can't use over 3GB on 32bit Windows)...

btw i recommend to use http://www.wsusoffline.net/ - neat app helping to download desired updates locally (thus you can download on different system and use on offline machine).
    Last edited by pandy; 7th Aug 2018 at 14:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Simple question, simple answer...

Q: Should I update Windows 7 if I only use it offline?
    A: No.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And don't wary about windows updates.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can update using an offline service like this one:

http://www.wsusoffline.net/

It will download all updates from the server and install them on your PC without connecting to MS. It also "knows"which updates to NOT download.
    The moment I install Win7 I turn off automatic updates and forbid any communication with MS.
    Quote Quote