VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have I-Author deluxe and Easy CD creator 4, TMPEGEnc 12a. I want to make an SVCD of SPINAL TAP with both sound tracks, like the DVD, and switch between the 2 on my DVD player. How do I go about it with the software I have? I did a search on this topic, there were only a few scant details, has anyone out there done this/knows a lot about it?

Graham
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    encode your video, 1st, and 2nd audio tracks independently. Then use the I-Author multiplexor to mux them all together. You could also mux them in bbmpeg and use mpgxmps to convert it to an I-Author compatible .mps file. Both programs are free and available in the tools section.

When you play the svcd in your dvd player use the audio button on your remote to switch between tracks. You will only get the first audio track if you play your svcd on your computer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks! I checked out the I-Author multiplexor as you said, and found where to add the 2nd track. Easy! Now the next issue is, I'm using 650MB CDRW's because my Ricoh 6200A burner is old old old and won't read larger disks. So if I use 2 soundtracks, and use all compliant audio & video rate settings, typically how many minutes in the mentioned format am I going to be able to fit on each disk?

Graham
    Quote Quote  
  4. hi,

Well that kinda depents on how wel the VBR MPEG2 video stream is compressed. But probably abot 30-55 minutes. I recently did the same with Chicken Run, and was able to fit 38 minutes of Dual audio mpeg2 on a 80 min. disc.
    Another way to check is that for every minutes (Of recordable time that is) on a (S)VCD you can fit 10MB on that CDR(W), so a 74min disc can contain about 740Mb of (S)VCD max.

Greetz,

pSyChO dAd
    The difference between genius and insanity is only measured by success !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well since svcd uses vbr encoding the amount of minutes you can fit on a cdr, with or without multiple audio tracks, can vary drastically.

At optimum settings (2-pass vbr, max 2.6mbits, min 0, average 2.2-2.4mbit) you will fit maybe 40 mins with 2 audio tracks both encoded at 224 kHz. With a lower bitrate you could fit up to 60 or 70 mins if you wanted to. Of course this also depends on the particular movie.

Now I don't know what the audio tracks are on that dvd but if one is only commentary then you can drop the bitrate on that one down quite a bit without losing any quality. I usually rip svcds with the main audio at 224 kHz and the commentary at between 128 and 92 kHz depending on how much space I need to save.
    Quote Quote