VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I picked up a Toshiba M-445 VCR at a yard sale for 5 bucks, I hooked it up and turned it on. But the tape doesn't go in far enough to drop down almost feels like something is locked or blacking it from going in. anyone know what would cause that?[AImage
    [Attachment 42454 - Click to enlarge]
    TTACH]42452[/ATTACH]Image
    [Attachment 42453 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a JVC VCR with similar symptoms. I was able to fix it myself once I realized a rubber belt from a small motor
    to the load/unload mechanism had stretched. I was able to replace it restoring normal operation.

I don't know anything about the Toshiba, chassis looks more complicated than mine.
    Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  4. It is typically a timing gear problem. This is easy for a technician to fix, but very difficult for someone who doesn't have the tools or service manual.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Find the motor which works the loader. Then, with the VCR unplugged, turn the shaft by hand and watch what happens in slow motion. You may need to remove the loader (and possibly the mechanism) to find the problem. It's probably mechanical, but could also be a faulty electronic sensor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Find the motor which works the loader. Then, with the VCR unplugged, turn the shaft by hand and watch what happens in slow motion. You may need to remove the loader (and possibly the mechanism) to find the problem. It's probably mechanical, but could also be a faulty electronic sensor.
    Good point. If you try to load the VCR with the cover removed, it will reject the tape because ambient light fools the sensor. You need to either put the cover back on or block the light from the sensor (I can't tell you where it is, because its location depends on the make/model of your VCR).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    it will reject the tape because ambient light fools the sensor.
    It takes a really bright flashlight blast to trigger the sensors in my JVC/Philips VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  8. In my JVC, my shop lights are all it needs to force the tape to eject as soon at it's inserted.
    Quote Quote