VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got some MKV's that use custom fonts along with ASS subtitles. i've tried extracting them using MKVToolNix and MKVExtractGUI2 but it doesnt work. it tells me that it does but it doesnt actually.

I've attached a screenshot (fonts.png) of MKVExtractGUI2 that shows me all of the fonts but if it is extracting them as it says it is, i cant find them anywhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fonts.PNG
Views:	2791
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	14288

the difference can be seen in the comparison shot i uploaded (comparison.png)

Name:	comparison.PNG
Views:	1230
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	14289

anyone know how to actually get these out so that I can install the font?

if you are wondering, this should allow me to then burn these subtitles into my re-encoded mp4 files while keeping the fonts.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ah actually i think my issue is different than i initially thought. the fonts are still muxed in with either the MKV or with the ASS but for some reason the fonts are lost while processing with format factory.

would editing the avs files allow me to specific attached fonts in format factory? this is what i currently have

Directshowsource("E:\path\[tlacatlc6] Working'!! 10 (BD 1920x1080 x264 FLAC) [7C5C6168] (1).mkv")
    textsub("E:\path\[tlacatlc6] Working'!! 10 (BD 1920x1080 x264 FLAC) [7C5C6168]_track3_eng.ass")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On my windows 7 machine, the fonts are specified in the ASS style line or individually in the Dialogue lines. If I do not have the fonts installed on my PC, the font reverts to a generic or default for my machine, usually arial. I tested on an unusual font (Graffitti) and they displayed as such but if I specify some eronneous font such as "notfound", I get the usual font for my PC. Think you might need to find the fonts or get them extracted somehow asnd install on your machine. Do you have a link to the video?
    Budman1
    Quote Quote  
  4. yeah i've been trying to extract them. MKVExtractGUi for some reason can't and MVKToolnix (mkvmerge?) can only rip mks files but they dont even appear to have anything in them.

I'm not sure where i can upload this to. Is there a program i can use to trim mkv's while keeping the subtitles intact?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using MKVCleaver to extract. Some people have been having better luck with that (not that I've had to use MKVExtractGUI-2 in a while, so I don't know if I'll have any problems with the most recent versions of it and mkvtoolnix).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I can't seem to get it to extract just attachments using that tool. in fact it crashes every time i try to extract anything
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Colby,

Ok you say you want to extract te subtitles? Then forget the GUImethod since GUI does not work on mine either. Go to the Toolnix folder and you shoud have these programs there:

Name:	ScreenHunter_210 Oct. 16 17.39.jpg
Views:	2753
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	14298

Then open a Command window (Dos Black screen) there or open itand navigate there using cd “C:\blah\blah\balh\toolnix”
    Now run these commands (- little i for identify below):

mkvmerge –I “c:\pathtovideo\videoname.mkv”

You will get the ID’s of the attachments. Mine below are1,2 and 3
    Then type: MKVExtract attachments “c:\pathtovideo\video.mkv”1:”C:\pathtosave\nameoff ont.ttf” 2:”C:\pathtosave\nameoffont2.ttf”3:”Cathtosave\fontname3.ttf”

Be VERRRYYY careful with spelling. You will notice in example below I forgot “ after the 004.mkv and it puked with nothing to do message. Mine worked, putting fonts to Desktop as noted above

Name:	ScreenHunter_209 Oct. 16 17.36.jpg
Views:	2163
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	14299

budman1
    Quote Quote  
  8. every time i try that, it gives me a giant list of help info and thats all

nevermind.... typing it all manually worked... fuuuuu
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, for DOS/CLI windows, you can drag a file from an Explorer window onto the DOS window, and it'll fill in the complete link to the file. So if you type:

Code:
    mkvmerge –I "
    ...and then drag and drop the file on the window, it'll fill in the full path and file name, and then you can continue entering the rest of the command. Just thought I'd mention that shortcut.

I haven't had any problems with MKVExtractGUI-2 and mkvtoolnix - but then, I usually don't update it all that often (not sure if the more recent versions of either are having problems working with each other, or MKVCleaver with the newer versions of mkvtoolnix, for that matter), and as I mentioned, I haven't done any extractions in quite a while.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ai Haibara,
    Very good info indeed! Thanks for that tip.. Sounds like it would be better than typing, especially if you type like I do. LOL

As far as the GUI goes, I think it has to do with what it grabs. In my example above, MKVMerge gives ID's as 1,2 and 3 but when it actually extracts, it has another ID. Just info to put in a list for when and if it fails.

Budman1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I keep hearing about people having ID mismatches between what's being reported and what's being extracted (or not). That's another reason why I haven't been as eager to update either mkvtoolnix or MKVExtractGUI-2.
    Quote Quote  
  12. i finally got the font extracting to work thanks to you two. thanks.

I really wish there was a gui that worked or at least something that would make batches for you but oh well.

now to make sure i can encode with the subtitles
    Quote Quote  
  13. budman! Thank you so much !! ive been searching for solutions and trying stuff for 4 hours , just if people having trouble in commands few fixes:
    mkvmerge –I “c:\pathtovideo\videoname.mkv” should be small i ==> mkvmerge –i “c:\pathtovideo\videoname.mkv”
    MKVExtract attachments “c:\pathtovideo\video.mkv”1:”C:\pathtosave\nameoff ont.ttf” 2:”C:\pathtosave\nameoffont2.ttf” there should be sapce fater the video name befor the 1 ==>
    MKVExtract attachments “c:\pathtovideo\video.mkv” 1:”C:\pathtosave\nameoff ont.ttf” 2:”C:\pathtosave\nameoffont2.ttf”

edit: i found a much easier way download aegisub open the .ass file and go file> attachments > select the fonts >extract
    Last edited by sarksi_yol1; 19th Sep 2019 at 10:30.
    Quote Quote