VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am finding this (for me) new format which is mpeg-2 with 1920x1080p resolution. What format is that?

The problem is that my streamer/BD player, an LG BD390, is not recognizing it.

Is there a way to convert this file to a more "standard" compressed 1080p?
    Quote Quote  
  2. is it authored?

try running it through multiavchd - otherwise your blu-ray player might not recognize it
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I usually burn my mkv files in SL or DL DVDs, according to the size. That is if I want to keep the mkv file. They play fine on my LG BD player.

If not I just stream it, using the same player as a media center.

It works fine with 720p or 1080p mkv files. But this is a different file inside the mkv container, and it doesn't play or stream through the LG.

What could I get with multiavchd? If it's a bluray file I don't have a BD burner or want to get one: media is too expensive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    I am finding this (for me) new format which is mpeg-2 with 1920x1080p resolution. What format is that?

1920x1080p at 23.976p or 24p Mpeg2 is part of the Blu-Ray spec. 60p, 59.94p or 50p are not.

How are you trying to play it? MultiAVCHD will support Mpeg2 *.m2ts within an AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM file structure. No need to recode if your MPeg2 file is Blu-Ray compliant.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For now I have two different files (yes, they are authored) with different speed: one is 23.976 and the other is 29.97.

I am trying to play it through and with my BD player, that plays mkv files. Both files have mkv enclosures.

I am not familiar with blu-ray or what is compliant with it. I bought this player because it was one of the few that, at the moment, could play mkv files of any size. So I wonder how can convert this file onto an mkv format that the player will play.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    @ carlmart:

Matroska (.MKV or .MKA files) is a container (just like AVI, MPG, VOB, TS, ASF, MOV, MP4, RM, whatever), whereas MPEG-2, MPEG-1, MPEG-4 ASP, MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1, etc etc etc, are compression standards. And even though Matroska itself supports MPEG-2 video, it seems the firmware of your BD player was designed to handle MKVs containing only AVC (aka H264) plus (perhaps) VC-1 and/or MPEG-4 ASP (DivX, Xvid, 3ivx).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Basically you will have to experiment to see what works on your particular player. Also what is compatible as a disc maybe different than what it plays when streaming or via USB

It should work in a transport stream (e.g. if you use multiavchd or tsmuxer). Transport stream container will add ~6-7% overhead to the size you have if it were wrapped in mkv

Otherwise you can re-encode it (last resort, because you will lose quality instead of re-wrapping, it will also take a lot longer). You could use ripbot264 or megui for example
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This format especially if it is 24fps is what digital cinemas use for some of the recent blockbusters - they mostly have theatre specific DRM so are unplayable anywhere else. I believe the Cinema release of Avatar in Germany was delayed because the keys were not sent or messed up some way..
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    This format especially if it is 24fps is what digital cinemas use for some of the recent blockbusters - they mostly have theatre specific DRM so are unplayable anywhere else. I believe the Cinema release of Avatar in Germany was delayed because the keys were not sent or messed up some way..
    Digital cinema is different. Older digital theaters will be using 2K (2048×1080). State of the art is 4Kx2k.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_(4096%C3%972160)_resolution
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was referring to what is happening in Australia at the moment - I doubt if more than a handful of theatres here will go to 4K x2K . Maybe Sydney and Melbourne with nearly half the total population but for the rest of the country the economic return to outlay is just not there IMO ♫ Still business is doing well at the moment not having had a recession so one never knows?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Basically you will have to experiment to see what works on your particular player. Also what is compatible as a disc maybe different than what it plays when streaming or via USB
    Yes, that might be so. I am also having a problem with ts files, that do not play from streaming or disc.

It should work in a transport stream (e.g. if you use multiavchd or tsmuxer). Transport stream container will add ~6-7% overhead to the size you have if it were wrapped in mkv

Otherwise you can re-encode it (last resort, because you will lose quality instead of re-wrapping, it will also take a lot longer). You could use ripbot264 or megui for example
    The problem is what transport to use or where to start with. If possible I wouldn't like to re-encode or any means that jeopardize quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many Blu-Ray players will play MPeg2 or h.264 m2ts transport streams when played from DVDR or BD media.

The file structure needed is AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM (place *.m2ts files here).

MultiAVCHD will build the directory structure for you and will add menus, multi streams etc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I just installed MultiAVCHD.

To what should I convert my file to?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Google "MultiAVCHD tutorial". Currently it seems down. Dean the app author often participates here.

The key concept is most HD MPeg2 or H.264 do not require re-encode to be converted to a m2ts transport stream playable on most current Blu-Ray players.

For example, I can cut edit HDV Mpeg2 in Vegas Pro (smart edit) with no generation loss to Blu-Ray (BD or DVDR). In other words, first generation to disc playback as if the camcorder was connected directly to the HDTV.
    Last edited by edDV; 29th Sep 2010 at 00:02.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which of these options would burn onto a DVD-DL?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	multiavchd.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	3649  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it depends somewhat on the wrapper on the input MPeg2 file and the type of Blu-Ray player.

This program can do many things. In the most common case, for MPeg2 or h.264 in an m2ts wrapper

1. Add video files. If you add two or more files, menus are automatically generated.
    2. Select an output folder
    3. Push Start.
    4. Select "AVCHD Disc". Some Blu-Ray players (e.g. Panasonic) prefer "AVCHD (strict)" . See Tutorial.

The DVDR file structure is created in the output folder. Burn this to DVDR with Imgburn.

For MPeg2 files, this is what has worked for me.

Blu-Ray compliant MPeg2 files from Vegas Pro 9 (1080i, 720p)
    ATSC/QAM tuner TS or PS MPeg2 transport streams. M2T extension does not work
    HDV camcorder files after wrapper conversion to TS or Mpg (HDTVtoMPeg2 does this and also allows I frame cutting).
    HDV smart render files from Vegas Pro after wrapper conversion to TS or Mpg in HDTVtoMPeg2
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I haven't yet tried your way.

But on three tries from three different files I got two right. Nice program this MultiAVCHD.

What I did was convert to MKV/AVC, and the files played fine on my system.

There's still one mpeg-2 HD file I can't convert. I will upload the screens I am getting to see what I should do.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On some ts and m2ts files I'm getting the following error with MultiAVCHD when I'm trying to convert them to mkv:

(RT) Invalid array (2)
    Valid range (1) _line 104

The line number may be different, but the error seems to be the same.

How should I proceed or what can I do to convert them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On some ts and m2ts files I'm getting the following error with MultiAVCHD when I'm trying to convert them to mkv:

(RT) Invalid array (2)
    Valid range (1) _line 104

The line number may be different, but the error seems to be the same.

How should I proceed or what can I do to convert them?
    Best to ask in the MiltiAVCHD forum. Dean the author will respond.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

"Found" where?

It must come from a BD or HD-DVD...
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote