VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    As we know, Microsoft pulled the HEVC codec from Windows 10 1709 and later.
    I do not have access to the store, and will never use it. M$ now charges for the codec too, but there is also a free version. Again, only from the M$ Store,
    Is there a way to add HEVC support back to Windows 10 / Download the codec?
    thanks
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Thanks. I saw that. It doesn't work. Because store isn't installed I get a "This address isn't understood". I can't download from the M$ Store.

[Attachment 49566 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why are you installing a "codec"? For playback, use a software player with built-in HEVC support, such as anything based on mplayer or ffmpeg, for encoding use anything based on mplayer or ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Why are you installing a "codec"?
    The reason is in the thread's title.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Why are you installing a "codec"? For playback, use a software player with built-in HEVC support, such as anything based on mplayer or ffmpeg, for encoding use anything based on mplayer or ffmpeg.
    For the same reason one might want native HEIF support. Or when one might want native mkv support before windows added native support for it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I can tell, one can't add native HEVC support in Windows 10 without obtaining the decoder from the Microsoft Store. It was the same situation with respect to MPEG-2 when I started using a Windows 8.1 laptop. However, only Microsoft's own apps, such as the "Movies and TV" app, seem to require Microsoft's decoders.

The third-party video player apps that I have installed which allow playing HEVC video have built-in support for GPU assisted HEVC decoding. I happen to have an Intel processor with an iGPU which is capable of decoding HEVC, but newer NVIDIA and AMD video cards would also work.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Hurda View Post
    And you seem not to understand what "native support" means. Only MS can add "native support", which means it's built into the OS framework. Installing a codec does not add "native support", regardless of whatever you may think.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hurda View Post
    And you seem not to understand what "native support" means. Only MS can add "native support", which means it's built into the OS framework. Installing a codec does not add "native support", regardless of whatever you may think.
    Ok, so if I've not understood fine. If we're going to get rude then let's just drop it.

I guess no one remembers when M$ did not have support for MKV or AVC or H264 (or Whatever you want to call it), built into the OS. What happened when you looked at a folder full of MKVs then? And after they added [whatever] support for MKV? How did it look then?

If the answer is "You cannot have [whatever] support for HEVC unless you download it from the M$ store - It is not available anywhere else on the planet" then that is the answer.

My question was "where can I download the MICROSOFT package (I don't believe I asked for a third party package)", not "can you please point out how much of an ignorant noob I am".

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/12/06/windows-10-fall-creators-update/

Bye.
    Last edited by Yanta; 18th Jul 2019 at 21:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The legit MS codecs are ONLY Ms Store apps, so they are only available from the MS Store, and unless I am very much mistaken, redirection/proxy addresses are NOT allowed when installing those kinds of apps. That is designed that way on purpose, so that they can monetize yes, but also so that they can curate and hold makers to a high standard of quality (of coding) and security. And prevent spoofing/mal-redirection.

If you don't have access to Ms Store (weird, why?), I'm afraid you are out of luck trying to go down this road.

And contrary to what you might think, there is nothing wrong with using 3rd part codecs, particularly the opensource variety or the legit licensed variety.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    The legit MS codecs are ONLY Ms Store apps, so they are only available from the MS Store, and unless I am very much mistaken, redirection/proxy addresses are NOT allowed when installing those kinds of apps. That is designed that way on purpose, so that they can monetize yes, but also so that they can curate and hold makers to a high standard of quality (of coding) and security. And prevent spoofing/mal-redirection.

If you don't have access to Ms Store (weird, why?), I'm afraid you are out of luck trying to go down this road.

And contrary to what you might think, there is nothing wrong with using 3rd part codecs, particularly the opensource variety or the legit licensed variety.

Scott
    I have nothing against 3rd party codecs. My point was that I didn't ask about third party codecs. I use third party tools all the time to add back functionality M$ keeps taking out of Windows (Shellfolderfix, oldnewexplorer, open shell menu etc).

As to why I will never allow store on any PC here - the same reason I disable telemetry and remove all M$ bloatware from the image before Windows is installed. Since all Windows are always installed from a clean image, I lost the codec when I upgraded from 1703 to 1809. Refer the link in my previous post.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The answer to this question is at the link below. The HEVC Extension can be downloaded and installed manually using DISM, putting back what M$ took out from 1709 onwards..

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/msmg-toolkit.50572/page-586#post-1540559
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Yanta View Post
    The answer to this question is at the link below. The HEVC Extension can be downloaded and installed manually using DISM, putting back what M$ took out from 1709 onwards..

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/msmg-toolkit.50572/page-586#post-1540559
    Too bad that it is necessary to join the My Digital Life forums to see the answer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been a member there since before you had to join to see answers so I was unaware. Here is the content...

Open the URL : https://store.rg-adguard.net/

- Change URL (link) to PackageFamilyName

- Inside Sample Data textbox, Enter Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe as Package Family Name

- Choose RP (Release Preview)

- Click on Ok

- The list of Apps available will be displayed, download the required .appx or .appxbundle file.

- Get the Microsoft.HEVCImageExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe.x64.xml and Microsoft.HEVCImageExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe.x86.xml from https://mega.nz/#F!R1ZSAQYD!LmAxR_bGwETWPlnl_CiMmw

- Install the App manually using the below command

Code:
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.21821.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /DependencyPackagePath:Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.27323.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /LicensePath:Microsoft.HEVCImageExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe.x86.xml
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.21821.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /DependencyPackagePath:Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.27323.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /LicensePath:Microsoft.HEVCImageExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe.x64.xml
    Make sure you put the stuff in one folder when you use DISM to install it.

Credit goes to MSMG at MDL and the vast array of helpers there. And joining the MDL forums is no different to these forums. A wealth of useful tools and information.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Yanta Thanks for posting the information.

Since I already had access to the MS Store, I ran the free app that enables HEVC hardware acceleration for HEVC playback using the Movies & TV app but it is still interesting to see the work-around. However, indulging my curiosity isn't sufficient reason for me to join a new forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @usually_quiet - Each to their own. I find MDL quite informative on many subjects, including some crossovers with topics here.

I am an avid supporter of Windows 7 but acknowledged the pointlessness of trying to stay with that OS, but I was not going to run Windows 10 in it's native state, it was (and still is), bug and telemetry ridden and full of bloatware. So the MSMG toolkit there was a godsend - which is what led me to this solution.

I'm a happy camper now. I have HEVC support on all 10 PCs now. Windows Explorer now recognizes HEVC encoded files.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Yanta View Post
    I've been a member there since before you had to join to see answers so I was unaware. Here is the content...

Open the URL : https://store.rg-adguard.net/

- Change URL (link) to PackageFamilyName

- Inside Sample Data textbox, Enter Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe as Package Family Name

- Choose RP (Release Preview)

- Click on Ok

- The list of Apps available will be displayed, download the required .appx or .appxbundle file.

- Get the Microsoft.HEVCImageExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe.x64.xml and Microsoft.HEVCImageExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe.x86.xml from https://mega.nz/#F!R1ZSAQYD!LmAxR_bGwETWPlnl_CiMmw

- Install the App manually using the below command

Code:
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.21821.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /DependencyPackagePath:Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.27323.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /LicensePath:Microsoft.HEVCImageExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe.x86.xml
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.21821.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /DependencyPackagePath:Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.27323.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /LicensePath:Microsoft.HEVCImageExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe.x64.xml
    Make sure you put the stuff in one folder when you use DISM to install it.

Credit goes to MSMG at MDL and the vast array of helpers there. And joining the MDL forums is no different to these forums. A wealth of useful tools and information.
    Since I can't use Microsoft Store I'm looking for an alternative method to add HEVC support to Win10.
    Unfortunately this is not working anymore, when you put in this name it returns only an empty list, and download that file at mega is offline.

Is there a another way to install that?
    Appreciate any help you can provide.
    Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check pm
    Quote Quote  
  18. I would like to add HEVC to our deployment image. My first step is to successfully add it to my test computer.

I am running Windows 10 Pro and downloaded the latest version of the HEVC .appx file Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.23254.0_x64__8wek yb3d8bbwe.appx. I then updated the DISM command here:

DISM.exe /Online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.23254.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /DependencyPackagePath:Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0 .27323.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /LicensePath:Microsoft.HEVCImageExtension_8wekyb3d8 bbwe.x64.xml

I am using the DISM tool 10.0.17763.771 with image version 10.0.17763.864.

When I run the command I get the Error: 2 unspecified error. Any suggestions? I've attached the DISM log file already.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have this file in the same folder as the HEVC appx and xml file?

Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.27323.0_x64__8wekyb3d 8bbwe.Appx

Otherwise, include the path to the file on /DependencyPackagePath

DISM reports:

Code:
    2020-02-12 08:50:09, Error                 DISM   DISM Appx Provider: PID=20064 TID=7668 Failed to open 'Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.27323.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx'. - CPackageAdapter::CreateFromPath(hr:0x80070002)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hi Yanta,

I sent you an PM, I accidently mistyped my email, so hopefully you might send me the files to the right one.
    Thanks again for your kind help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol. OK.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi Yanta,

Could you provide the file download for Microsoft.HEVCImageExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe.x64.xml and Microsoft.HEVCImageExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe.x86.xml as that file at mega is offline.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  23. I second the last request. Can someone provide me the license XML files please? As an alternative how can I export my license from a computer with the HEVC codec installed from the Microsoft Store?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Can I also get the license XML files, please?
    Quote Quote