VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know, I know...it's a $25 USB Dongle grabber so what should I expect, but I figured why not try, maybe it works maybe it doesn't, reviews weren't terrible so I had some hope.

So, is there any point or easy way to fix this badly distorted input signal? (See sample) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvFC981FhY

The footage shows cleanly in the viewfinder of the camcorder. Is it a timing issue? Anything I can do apart from spending lots more $$?

1. VGB300 USB Grabber
    2. Canon UC9Hi Camcorder
    3. 2018 Macbook Pro

I am using composite (Yellow) cable right now. Any point in getting/trying a S-video cable to resolve the distortion?

Thanks for any input!
    Quote Quote  
  2. it's not a matter of cable but stability of the signal, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMA5aH_olAQ&list=FLkdfLPEpmp_VRaJBLnn8iFw&index=109&t=0s
    I bought mine ~50€ 2nd hand, it works great

Or if you can find and old high end Hi8 camcorder, i'm pretty sure those have a tbc
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. It does look like a time base issue.

If you have a choice to use S-video instead of composite, try that. Or, if you are already using the S-video connection, go to composite.

Your sample does look like home video, but if this is a commercial tape, it might be protected by Macrovision. Your sample video looks almost exactly what I remember seeing, decades ago, the last time I saw a Macrovision tape transfer.

One last thing to check are all the settings in the capture software. I don't hold up much hope here, but sometimes there are settings for various things that might affect stability. I can't remember now, but the Japan variant of NTSC (NTSC-J) has slightly different reference levels, and that might affect the way the sync pulses are read.
    Quote Quote