VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used the wrong colors space for SD.
    I captured with a 709 color. How much does this matter?
    It doesn't look any different.
    Would I have problems down the road?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jpvoodoo View Post
    Would I have problems down the road?
    With what - converting to DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will be converting to Mp4 and DVD.

I also would like to archive the lossless file to use for future formats

The color space setting was buried in advanced settings in OBS. It used the ULHO UTVideo codec.

I think it should have used ULY2 for 4:2:2 chroma sampling.I have since found out that OBS supports only 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.

I think I could choose I444 color format and 601 color space and it would use 4:4:4. i understand VHS doesn't contain the quality where it would matter. But I am trying to choose a format that will retain the most detailed information in case I want to move to another format than Mp4 and DVD later. I also want to retain the most correct colors.

But I don't know if it is harmful to choose 4:4:4 for a 4:2:2 source.

So I have these ULH0 files and I am wondering if I should recapture them into some other format such as the ULY4 or ULY0 codecs which use the 601 color space, but are 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 respectively.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Don't use OBS for analog video tape capturing. OBS is for recording your screen or streaming.
    Use VirtualDub. In VDub you can adjust the settings easier.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You're capture device should be set to capture YUV 4:2:2 (YUY2, UYVY, V210, etc.). The capture program should be set to take that YUV 4:2:2 video and send it to the compression codec as YUV 4:2:2 (ie, don't let it convert to RGB, YV12, whatever). The compression codec should be set to compress as YUV 4:2:2. Upon decompression, the codec should be set to output YUV 4:2:2.
    Quote Quote