VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am looking for a new blu-ray player that is flexible (will play most regions and possibly even PAL. USB would be nice but I have AppleTV so I dont really need Wi-Fi or too many bells and whistles).

Is there a reasonably priced player that anyone can recommend? Too many options, I'm having a hard time getting started in my search.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You need to tell us what country you live in or we are wasting our time. Assuming you are in the USA/Canada:

Amazon has a few that resellers sell. All I can tell you is that you have to be VERY careful with Amazon resellers because Amazon does not in any way back you up if you have a dispute. If you buy a "region free" player and it's not really region free, you are probably stuck with it.

Another possible source is here:
    http://www.220-electronics.com/blu-ray-dvd/region-free-blu-ray-player.html

Region free players can't be bought in US stores and must be bought online.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. Yes, I'm in the US.
    Quote Quote  
  4. are the players sold by a site like 220-electronics.com "unlocked" or something or are they just the retail versions. I guess my questions is if I buy a player from there, am I getting the same product that I would get from Amazon or Best Buy, or is it "modified" in some way?

Thank you for your help and I apologize if my questions seem amateur-ish, which I admittedly am.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by InHiding79 View Post
    are the players sold by a site like 220-electronics.com "unlocked" or something or are they just the retail versions. I guess my questions is if I buy a player from there, am I getting the same product that I would get from Amazon or Best Buy, or is it "modified" in some way?

Thank you for your help and I apologize if my questions seem amateur-ish, which I admittedly am.
    The region free players from specialty retailers are not exactly the same as the standard players sold elsewhere. They have been modified with custom firmware and/or replacement chips to make them region-free.

Read the descriptions carefully so you get the features you want. Some players are only region free for DVD. Others play PAL discs but do not convert from PAL to NTSC for compatibility with N. American TVs.
    Quote Quote