VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Hauppauge Colossus 2 PCI Express Internal for more than 6 years now and it served me (and still) very well during those years.

I want to get another capture card now with the following features:

- External Capture Card.
    - Offline Recording (with good Internal memory space).
    - Record up to 20 Mbps.
    - Able to capture 5.1 channel AC3 stream from cable box.
    - Have decent capturing software with schedule recording.

Appreciate your suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't you mean the Hauppauge Colossus PCI Express as Colossus 2 PCI Express hasn't been out that long it beardly 4 years old

Originally Posted by MounaLafi View Post
    - External Capture Card.
    Sometime coming soon from Hauppauge you see when I post

- Offline Recording (with good Internal memory space).
    LoL it a lot space in a small package that just a hint

- Record up to 20 Mbps.
    I kind doubt it that high

- Able to capture 5.1 channel AC3 stream from cable box.
    As for capture 5.1 channel AC3 stream that not going happing

- Have decent capturing software with schedule recording.
    Support for OBS and XSplit Broadcaster plus it own software

Other then that look at problem child AVerMedia and there product.
    Last edited by SHS; 16th Feb 2019 at 15:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I want to get another capture card now with the following features:
    It's nice to want.
    But you're going to have to temper your wants with reality.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's a lot better to get a third party HD cable set top box with DVR and cable card (If paid subscription), No transcoding no quality loss, You record what's being sent bit by bit.

http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    It's a lot better to get a third party HD cable set top box with DVR and cable card (If paid subscription), No transcoding no quality loss, You record what's being sent bit by bit.

No countries other than the USA use CableCARD. so a CableCARD tuner is not an option for MounaLafi, who lives in Switzerland.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    So it's even better, DVB-C devices and set top boxes with DVR are widely available in Europe.

This box for instance gets DVB-C (cable), DVB-T and DVB-T2 (terrestrial), DVB-S and DVB-S2 (satellite) and online apps, It records to a USB flash drive. Good luck finding something like this in the US.

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	48123  

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	799
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	48124  

Last edited by dellsam34; 18th Feb 2019 at 03:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

No countries other than the USA use CableCARD. so a CableCARD tuner is not an option for MounaLafi, who lives in Switzerland.
    They have CableCard in europe but it called CI look up DVB-CI
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So it's even better, DVB-C devices and set top boxes with DVR are widely available in Europe.

This box for instance gets DVB-C (cable), DVB-T and DVB-T2 (terrestrial), DVB-S and DVB-S2 (satellite) and online apps, It records to a USB flash drive. Good luck finding something like this in the US.
    Wrong and it not a goof ball Android OS that meant for Phones or Tablet deivce
    Channel Master Stream+ Media Player and OTA DVR
    Amazon Fire TV Recast, Over-the-air DVR
    Then the Android TV with Live Channel install + Hauppauge USB dualHD Tuner
    Last edited by SHS; 18th Feb 2019 at 14:08.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post

I have been here long enough to know that various European countries use CAMs for paid OTA, cable, and satellite services, but dellsam recommended US model CableCARD tuners from Ceton, which aren't going to be useful anywhere else because they only accept US CableCARDs.

So your point in bringing this up is what? Do you have any specific device in mind or are you just being petty? Also, these services are encrypted and the recordings made by devices that accept CAMs are often encrypted too. Recording the stream gets you a file that is unplayable except using the individual device that made it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Feb 2019 at 13:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I have been here long enough to know that various European countries use CAMs for paid OTA, cable, and satellite services, but dellsam recommended US model CableCARD tuners from Ceton, which aren't going to be useful anywhere else because they only accept US CableCARDs.

So your point in bringing this up is what? Do you have any specific device in mind or are you just being petty?
    The physical CableCARD and CAM module and CI+ card that are inserted into the host device is a PC PCMCIA Type II card that handles all decryption there for the same that what I refer to where do you think the USA CableCard idea come from but with USA own little spin on it, So in Reality it the same the principal.
    Last edited by SHS; 18th Feb 2019 at 13:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I also find it ironic to suggest recording of On-Demand material.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    Scott it has nothing do with On-Demand we talk about reg TV channel and STB.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM

So your point in bringing this up is what? Do you have any specific device in mind or are you just being petty?
    The physical CableCARD and CAM module and CI+ card that are inserted into the host device is a PC PCMCIA Type II card that handles all decryption there for the same that what I refer to where do you think the USA CableCard idea come from but with USA own little spin on it, So in Reality it the same the principal.
    ... but CAMs made for other countries still don't work in a US model CableCard tuner. Good to see more proof of just how petty you are.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Android run a lot of stuff nowadays it is not meant for just phones anymore, It is as powerful as Windows or IOS.

I believe they do have cable cards in Europe, I know they do for satellite. The card idea came from Europe where anyone can go and buy any satellite receiver and just order the card to get the programming package, Kind of like the GSM phones here where you buy a GSM SIM card and buy your own phone which is again a European thing. US companies got greedy and they want their proprietary hardware to make it harder to make a switch to competitors, That's why we ended up with Sprint, Verizon, DishNet, DirectTV ...etc. In the US cable channels use to be all clear and locked by a physical lock in the distribution box outside the house, They got smarter and smarter to the point where cards are not used anymore again, DN stopped cards few years ago, all their receivers are cardless. But here in the US streaming and Android media boxes are killing them, Let them taste their own medicine.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 18th Feb 2019 at 14:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ... but CAMs made for other countries still don't work in a US model CableCard tuner. Good to see more proof of just how petty you are.
    That true there not cross compatible but that wasn't the point you said No countries other than the USA use CableCard but when in fact those other countries have there own ver of CableCard
    Last edited by SHS; 18th Feb 2019 at 14:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wrong and it not a goof ball Android OS that meant for Phones or Tablet deivce
    Channel Master Stream+ Media Player and OTA DVR
    Amazon Fire TV Recast, Over-the-air DVR
    Then the Android TV with Live Channel install + Hauppauge USB dualHD Tuner
    Android run a lot of stuff nowadays it is not meant for just phones anymore, It is as powerful as Windows or IOS.
    The OP is in Europe so US ATSC and QAM don't work for him.
    Except Android was not made for a remote and Android TV is all together different which is made for Remote
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Scott
    You're the one who posted the pic of Netflix!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Scott
    You're the one who posted the pic of Netflix!

Scott
    Lol
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That true there not cross compatible but that wasn't the point you said No countries other than the USA use CableCard but when in fact those other countries have there own ver of CableCard
    Once again you are wrong. I specifically meant US CableCARDs because Ceton's tuners don't accept anything other than US CableCARDs. Other countries have other similar-looking devices but they are not CableCARDs, cannot legally be called "CableCARDs" and don't work in Ceton's CableCARD tuners. The name "CableCARD" is trademarked by CableLabs and refers to specific US-only CableLabs and FCC-approved smart cards, not CAMs in general.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Feb 2019 at 14:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Once again you are wrong. I specifically meant US CableCARDs. Other countries have other similar-looking devices but they are not and cannot be called "CableCARDs". The name "CableCARD" is trademarked by CableLabs and refers to specific US-only CableLabs and FCC-approved smart cards, not CAMs in general.
    What Ever
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM

Once again you are wrong. I specifically meant US CableCARDs. Other countries have other similar-looking devices but they are not and cannot be called "CableCARDs". The name "CableCARD" is trademarked by CableLabs and refers to specific US-only CableLabs and FCC-approved smart cards, not CAMs in general.
    What Ever
    What ever? I guess the precise definitions of technical terms don't matter to functional illiterates like you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

What Ever
    What ever? I guess the precise definitions of technical terms don't matter to functional illiterates like you.
    No just don't have time to play game especially now I got some good news about becoming a Grandpa
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe they do have cable cards in Europe, I know they do for satellite.
    No. The name "CableCARD" is trademarked by CableLabs. The term CableCARD should only be used for specific devices made for the US market which meet FCC requirements and passed CableLabs certification. Europe has CAMs (conditional access modules) that are known by other names.

The card idea came from Europe where anyone can go and buy any satellite receiver and just order the card to get the programming package, Kind of like the GSM phones here where you buy a GSM SIM card and buy your own phone which is again a European thing.
    None of that means that it is possible in every case to watch recordings made with a third-party satellite receiver or cable box without using the same individual unit that made the recording. They can be locked to the box that made them.

I am not sure that you understand the limitations imposed on CableCARD devices by the US cable industry either. For what it is worth, I have been using a CableCARD tuner to record and watch TV for 4 years. Neither a TiVo or CableCARD tuner is guaranteed to provide portable, unencrypted recordings for every channel. Recordings for some channels (maybe even most channels for some cable service providers or some cable packages) will be recorded to an encrypted file that is only watchable with the individual unit that made the recording or not recorded at all.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No. The name "CableCARD" is trademarked by CableLabs. The term CableCARD should only be used for specific devices made for the US market which meet FCC requirements and passed CableLabs certification. Europe has CAMs (conditional access modules) that are known by other names.
    You are slapping a trade mark on everything, I said cable card not CableCARD, Lets just call it access card from now on. Again the technology is European not US. The whole point is in Europe you have better choices than here, It has nothing to do with compatibility between US and Europe, Plus in Europe and I know this from personal experience of owning several satellite receivers including the Aston brand when I lived there, once the stream is decrypted by the card it becomes clear and you can do whatever you want with it, You are confusing US cable system encryption with something you know nothing about in a different world.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other then that look at problem child AVerMedia and there product.
    Which product from AVerMedia do you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Again the technology is European not US. The whole point is in Europe you have better choices than here, It has nothing to do with compatibility between US and Europe, Plus in Europe and I know this from personal experience of owning several satellite receivers including the Aston brand when I lived there, once the stream is decrypted by the card it becomes clear and you can do whatever you want with it, You are confusing US cable system encryption with something you know nothing about in a different world.
    How long ago did you live there? I have a feeling that it is no longer an entirely different world in Europe with respect to DRM anymore. Some STBs might provide user access to unencrypted recordings but I have seen some indications that not all STBs allow such freedom. Today, it might take some luck to find a STB that doesn't encrypt the recordings it makes of some HD programming.

For example:
    Some Freeview satellite receivers in the UK do encrypt recordings based on copy protection flags in the signal. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/365267-Freeview-PVR-that-allows-HD-unencrypted-vid...transfer-to-PC.

Set-top boxes for DVB-C can also encrypt recordings: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/372858-Record-shows-on-DVB-C-HD-Set-top-box-PVR-us...other-than-TVS
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps he means Avermedia's EZRecorder 130 and Game Capture HD II? They are stand alone capture devices and I have recommended them at times, but I don't think you would be satisfied with them. They lack most of the other features that you want and they are not without problems
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps he means Avermedia's EZRecorder 130 and Game Capture HD II? They are stand alone capture devices and I have recommended them at times, but I don't think you would be satisfied with them. They lack most of the other features that you want and they are not without problems
    I understand that I can't have all the features I've requested for.
    I appreciate if you could give me your current recommendation that would cover most of the requested features.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps he means Avermedia's EZRecorder 130and Game Capture HD II? They are stand alone capture devices and I have recommended them at times, but I don't think you would be satisfied with them. They lack most of the other features that you want and they are not without problems
    I understand that I can't have all the features I've requested for.
    I appreciate if you could give me your current recommendation that would cover most of the requested features.
    There is one AVerMedia product that I forgot about, the EzRecorder 310 which comes closer to what you want than the other two. It won't do AC3 recording but has some of the other features that you want. The product page is here: https://www.avermedia.com/tv_more/product/streaming_capture/ezrecorder_310 You should read the manual and look at the FAQs.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is one AVerMedia product that I forgot about, the EzRecorder 310 which comes closer to what you want than the other two. It won't do AC3 recording but has some of the other features that you want. The product page is here: https://www.avermedia.com/tv_more/product/streaming_capture/ezrecorder_310 You should read the manual and look at the FAQs.

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked the product page and it seems that it is covering most of what I need.
    Quote Quote