VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,
    I am very confused with setting up my P3 850 Mhz pc for satellite tv recording on harddisk. I already have 2 nokia 9800 standalone tuners and all the equippment that goes with them but i want to try the PC way.
    Firstly I am looking at cards such as Skystar 1 and 2 and Hauppauge Win DVB-s. From what i hear it is better to have a card with an onboard Mpeg decoder. Any views on this?
    I am looking at buying a 2nd hand Hauppauge Win Dvb-s card. (They are not cheap!!) This is the older version of the Nexus card which from Hauppauge technical help tells me that it is only a name change the difference between the two cards? Is this the only difference? Any advantages of having the Nexus instead of the Win Dvb-s card? How about dolby digital broadcasts? will this card be able to pick the sound in dolby digital?

I want to be able to pick up HDTV from Astra 1 (I live in uk!!). The channel that is testing is called Euro 1080. Will the Hauppauge Win DVB-s pick up this channel and what software is best using to make sure i pick up this channel and be able to record on hard disk with no problems , and how will i then be able to store the recording on DVD in the future? Will the recordings on the harddisk from a PCi tuner be as good as the original? Will they have a black border around the picture or will it be a full tv picture when i burn on dvd?

Please assist me so i buy the right things. Many thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You need a skystar2 to capture HDTV but your PC may be to weak for realtime playback on your monitor because ss2 does not have hardware decoding. But ss1 with hardware decoder can not receive HDTV...
    Ronny
    Quote Quote  
  3. twinhan and Nexus-S (ONLY in soft mode) can do HDTV, I havn't got my SKyStar2 to do HDTV, I would love to hear how its done
    Quote Quote