VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hard to express this correctly.
    I have a completed a word- accurate subtitle I made from VOSK and Subtitle Edit plus a copy of the public domain play.

Within that there is an extended space of songs in French and Italian-- an audition scene. Are there versions of the audio to text models in foreign languages? What I would do is simply snip and copy the French and Italian and then put it into my sub which is
    completed in all other ways. (These are Baroque songs not even easily located from a few phrases in a Google search.)

The technique worked with Whisper where I needed a brief song lyric in English. That one actually could be understood by Whisper's small model, at least well enough to get it into text manually. That same video has a song at the outset that Whisper just displayed as [Music] in the usual way. But a friend was able to identify the source poem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. This might be what you need. https://translatesubtitles.co/

Adobe Premiere has a text to speech feature that works in multiple languages. You can just pay for a month of use and there is a free introductory period.
    Kdenlive is a free open source clone of Premiere and also has text to speech in multiple languages. But I never got it to work for me. It needs additional programs to work with and I can't figure out why they won't cooperate.

OOPS: I meant to say speech to text above. They will create text subtitles from the speech for different languages. You have to install a language pack for each language you want to subtitle.
    Last edited by ChasVideo; 22nd May 2023 at 11:59. Reason: I said text to speech and I meant to say speech to text
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ChasVideo View Post
    This might be what you need. https://translatesubtitles.co/

Adobe Premiere has a text to speech feature that works in multiple languages. You can just pay for a month of use and there is a free introductory period.
    Kdenlive is a free open source clone of Premiere and also has text to speech in multiple languages. But I never got it to work for me. It needs additional programs to work with and I can't figure out why they won't cooperate.
    Thanks for answering. I Just began thinking about this after giving up for a while. The reason I gave up was I got no response from an expert forum on Baroque music-- not a word back -- and showed them where to find a clip. The video-- while not new- has been removed so a new direction is needed.

I don't know right now if a Whisper can just get the phonemes of the language to get some text. I will come back if I find I can get a sample.

My goal is to use all free tools for this , tools to get others involved in doing subs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. In Subtitle Edit > audio to text option I see a whole list to select language other than English but with just the one available small model. I have no idea if French and Italian can run under the model. Something else to try. I have a clip made of the songs section.
    Quote Quote  
  5. No luck with Subtitle Edit on getting phonetic French or Italian. Whisper will identify [Italian Language] in brackets but
    no response to the actual audio is given in either English or Italian in my clip. That's as far as I went with it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you make a clip available ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    of the audio, video or both? It's not absolutely trimmed to the cues, but sure. It's very short-- 8 mins I think.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    of the audio, video or both? It's not absolutely trimmed to the cues, but sure. It's very short-- 8 mins I think.
    What ever is easiest for you, from the point of view of accessing it for this purpose, don't think it matters
    Quote Quote  
  9. I sent this up and it looked completed but not posted so far.

I will put it on some cloud space for download or demux the audio and repost here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Last edited by loninappleton; 23rd May 2023 at 01:06.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let me say I had the best luck with the Python Whisper version, OpenAI. The CPP would not work for me, CPU too old,
    no AVX2 instructions, CPP crashes. The SSE version is just too slow.
    Installed Python, and OpenAI, seems better.
    But even still this is going to be very difficult. Took a small moment from your clip where they sing in French, produced French subs,
    then translated to English @ https://translatesubtitles.co
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/k30b8zmn8nqmx2m/critic_songs_clip.zip/file
    Quote Quote  
  12. With my low level hardware and not knowing how to set up Python etc. I would say thanks for the effort but I could not pursue it
    on my own. Perhaps in the future there will be other tools-- but really all I'd need is someone who knew Baroque music. These had to be popular songs and such of the period. But no references in the credits save for " music by Purcell Handel, Arne and Giordani" It's just not there. There's a long rendition of Rule Britannia (Matthew Arne) , Britons Strike Home and quite a selection of the Baroque style. The Play is a hoot. It's on Youtube.

I did try to follow the link to mediafire-- will try that again. Appreciate your taking the time with it. It was a long-shot with so little to go on.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The new clip is downloading now from using the link here rather then the one presented by my email
    Quote Quote