VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have yet to find a program that will allow me to author a Blu ray that is encoded 10 Bit 1080p H.265.
    DVDFAB, LEAWO, etc. only allow 10 bit and H.265 for 2160p files. (They will ACCEPT and author the 1080p 10 bit Hevc files- But will re-encode them down to 8 bit AVC).
    Since a blu ray disc is only a storage medium- it seems odd that the authoring programs would not allow files of ANY resolution to take advantage of the better compression of HEVC.
    (Not just 4K files)
    I emailed TMPGEnc/Pegasus to see if their AuthoringWorks program allows this.(fingers crossed)....
    But, it feels like a huge oversight for the other programs - Hevc is just another codec.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
    I have yet to find a program that will allow me to author a Blu ray that is encoded 10 Bit 1080p H.265...
    burn the video as data
    it will not play on a regular BD player but on computer

Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
    I emailed TMPGEnc/Pegasus to see if their AuthoringWorks program allows this.
    i email them already, they have no plans to add UHD authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I also would love this feature!
    Jagabo, please do not reply to this post. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That is not what "authoring" is about.

You just want a file or series of files. You can fairly easily create them with a number of encoders. And you should be able to play them with a number of general media players. On various media, not just BD discs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    That is not what "authoring" is about.

You just want a file or series of files. You can fairly easily create them with a number of encoders. And you should be able to play them with a number of general media players. On various media, not just BD discs.

Scott
    Yes- I used to use the Data File trick back in the day putting 1080p files on DVDs.
    I can author a blu ray that is HEVC 2160p. Why should the hevc codec be limited by resolution within the program? Since the codec itself is resolution agnostic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The POINT of authoring is to author (compile/build a title) according to a set of standards so there is universality in features and ease of access.

You can go off-spec all you want, but don't expect apps that are geared for compatibility to then start giving you a bunch of incompatible options. You don't need to be compatible if you're only needing to share & satisfy yourself. And if you don't need to be compatible, you don't need to author, and you can choose whatever options work for you. Or even build your own apps to get what you want.

Btw, don't kid yourself. ALL codecs have resolution (and other) limits, whether by spec or in practice.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Easiest way to watch what you want is to get a media device player that connects to your tv and just plug in a usb flash drive with the video's on it,you can burn the videos to a blu-ray as data and extract what you want to watch later.To me authoring is too cumbersome with all the stuff involved getting a working disc.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    The POINT of authoring is to author (compile/build a title) according to a set of standards so there is universality in features and ease of access.

You can go off-spec all you want, but don't expect apps that are geared for compatibility to then start giving you a bunch of incompatible options. You don't need to be compatible if you're only needing to share & satisfy yourself. And if you don't need to be compatible, you don't need to author, and you can choose whatever options work for you. Or even build your own apps to get what you want.

Btw, don't kid yourself. ALL codecs have resolution (and other) limits, whether by spec or in practice.

Scott
    I'm not authoriing discs for anyone but myself.
    And yes- codecs have limits. But you know as well as I that H.264 can handle any resolution up to 1080 , and H.265 can handle any resolution up to 4320. So, between those two codecs, I have no limits (no plans to venture into the pointless arena of 8K unless I get a 200" television).
    It just seems silly that the tools out there are restricting H.265 to just 2160 files. The compression in that codec is helpful at any resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Easiest way to watch what you want is to get a media device player that connects to your tv and just plug in a usb flash drive with the video's on it,you can burn the videos to a blu-ray as data and extract what you want to watch later.To me authoring is too cumbersome with all the stuff involved getting a working disc.
    I have many media players, and a Plex server- But that is more for convenience. You are correct that it is work to make your own discs- But I enjoy having a custom physical library. (Especially for titles that have not made the leap to HD. (Upscale DVD and make custom BD.))
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd just accept 2160P and limit the bitrate to fit the disk.
    Quote Quote