VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been ripping DVDs for my plex server, but I am having problems with particular ones produced by the 'network' company here in the UK (https://networkonair.com/)

When playing back the remux on plex (fire stick), the video is corrupted with a green glitching effect:
    [Attachment 67271 - Click to enlarge]

When playing back the file via PotPlayer or MPC-BE it has a stuttering effect, bouncing back and forth between frames:
    [Attachment 67272 - Click to enlarge]

Although if you scrub through the timeline it will suddenly fix itself and play normally. The same does not happen during plex playback however.
    It seems to play perfectly fine in windows media player which is strange.

Is this some kind of copy protection built into the mpeg stream? I don't think its an interlacing issue as when force played back in progressive it has the same effect.

I have got 3 DVD's from this company and they all have the exact same issue!

Re-encoding the file does produce a playable video without the glitching problem, but I would much prefer to have a straight remux of the DVD to save all the encoding time, if it is possible.

I have attached a 30 second segment from the DVD, trimmed via MKVtoolnix, so it has the same issue as the full length files.

If anyone has any ideas of how to get around it I would be very much appreciative.
    Thanks!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. What do you mean with Remux?
    Do you mean the mkv file, ripped by Makemkv?
    This mkv plays fine with windows media player only?
    Or there where other steps you did?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    What do you mean with Remux?
    Do you mean the mkv file, ripped by Makemkv?
    This mkv plays fine with windows media player only?
    Or there where other steps you did?
    Yes the mkv file is directly produced from the DVD via MakeMKV - nothing else has been done to it, other than the file I have attached which I trimmed down to 30 secs via the split feature in MKVtoolnix. By remux I mean it is the exact video and audio streams from the DVD source, nothing has been re-encoded
    Quote Quote  
  4. There is a problem with the mkv container.
    Remux if to ts with Tsmuxer, then it works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    There is a problem with the mkv container.
    Hi, thanks for the suggestion. It has fixed playback on potplayer and mpc-be but unfortunately it is still the same for plex, with the green corruption. Interestingly I just tested it in VLC and it is showing both the green colour and the stuttering, for both the original .mkv and the .ts

I have also extracted the .m2v video stream via MKVcleaver, and it is the same for this too. I think the problem is somewhere in the video stream itself rather than the container, though I am only speculating
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 213 View Post
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Hi, thanks for the suggestion. It has fixed playback on potplayer and mpc-be but unfortunately it is still the same for plex, with the green corruption. Interestingly I just tested it in VLC and it is showing both the green colour and the stuttering, for both the original .mkv and the .ts

I have also extracted the .m2v video stream via MKVcleaver, and it is the same for this too. I think the problem is somewhere in the video stream itself rather than the container, though I am only speculating
    try copying the disc with dvdfab, the disc may have copy protection that makemkv doesn't support yet.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by october262 View Post

try copying the disc with dvdfab, the disc may have copy protection that makemkv doesn't support yet.
    I tried with dvdfab, it has definitely done something as the green is gone but unfortunately there is still some corruption remaining when played on PLEX:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	plex_dvdfab_rip.gif
Views:	84
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	67274  

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

I tried with dvdfab, it has definitely done something as the green is gone but unfortunately there is still some corruption remaining when played on PLEX:
    does it play ok on your computer ??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

does it play ok on your computer ??
    The MKV from DVDfab plays fine on potplayer, windows media player will only play audio, and VLC still has the same green glitching and stuttering. Just to note, all other branded DVDs I have done so far play perfectly fine on pc and PLEX. Seems to be something strange about these particular ones from 'network'
    Quote Quote  
  10. LSmashVideoSource() in AviSynth has no problems reading the MKV file.

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("DVDremux.mkv") 
    QTGMC()
    ffmpeg had no problems either:

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i DVDremux.mkv -vf bwdif -c:v libx264 -c:a copy output.mkv
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    LSmashVideoSource() in AviSynth has no problems reading the MKV file.

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("DVDremux.mkv") 
    QTGMC()
    ffmpeg had no problems either:

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i DVDremux.mkv -vf bwdif -c:v libx264 -c:a copy output.mkv
    Its strange, I know the file seems to be fine as it encodes without problems for me too, but I don't understand why plex and VLC struggle to play it. And why it only affects these branded DVDs, all others I have tried play perfectly on plex
    Quote Quote