VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded this and the avi file is awesome. Now I want to encode it TMPEnc and not sure how to set the source with this format. The "what is" section doesn't reference 640x272? Should I go with vcd or svcd?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Go with SVCD. If sound goes out of sync, you might want to rip the sound to a wav file using VirtualDub then use TMPnc. I do this as a standard proceedure so I don't waste encoding time. Only takes a few minutes and it seems to take care of sound sync problems. Be sure to use the film template so the frame rate stays at 23.976. If you change the frame rate then the sound won't be in sync and then you have to strech or shorten the sound wav file accordingly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I get a lot of movies like this - HQ DivX stuff ...

if your machine can handle it you should do xSVCD two pass VBR (use a bitrate calculator to set your bitrates)

set source to 1:1 VGA - Full Screen (Keep Aspect Ratio)

output aspect ratio 4:3 and DONT change the frame rate

I usually go with 352x240 resolution but thats your choice you can do 352x480 or 480x480 if you wish

export the audio in VirtualDub and use tooLAME with TMPGEnc to do the sound

you will end up with a VCD thats as good as the original source .... all this is IF your DVD will play non-standard SVCD's (xSVCD)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Great! Thanks for the help! I'll try the xsvcd format. I've gott an APEX 800 and has handled everything so far plus the player section indicates it can handle it.

Can't wait to watch this one!

Rich
    Quote Quote  
  5. FYI,

Thank you both! Just completed a test. I did as suggested and it is awesome! I converted audio to wav and used it with the video. Didn't do 2 pass VBR as TMPEnc estimated over 33 hours. That's with an AMD 1.3 and 512 of RAM. Just used NTSC film template for SVCD @480x480.

Thanks Again!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Glad to help

I guess I should have told you that 2-Pass VBR can take a long time ... It's a good 11 hours for me on a PIII 256meg ram

but I love the results too much do it any other way -- I just start it at night before I go to bed - then when I get home from work the next day the movie is ready
    Quote Quote