1. Someone said my drive can't read UHD TRUE or FALSE
    Model is BW-16D1HT
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	asus.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	60898  

Quote Quote  
  2. Not true, i can read UHD discs with it, I have the exact same drive installed in my rig. Good choice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Not true, i can read UHD discs with it, I have the exact same drive installed in my rig. Good choice.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rip-it6817 View Post
    Someone said my drive can't read UHD TRUE or FALSE
    Model is BW-16D1HT
    It is a "UHD friendly" drive, not an official UHD Blu-ray drive. It's good for ripping and should work for playing a decrypted UHD Blu-ray with an "unofficial" (not licensed by the BDA) player like DVDFab Player 6.

However, it lacks the security features in its firmware that a true UHD Blu-ray drive has which would allow it to work with PowerDVD Ultra (17 or higher), the only UHD Blu-ray player currently licensed by the BDA to play UHD Blu-ray. There are also a number of other hardware requirements for officially sanctioned UHD playback with PowerDVD Ultra which must be satisfied, some of which are also related to security. You should find out whether your computer and its display can satisfy those requirements before buying a true UHD Blu-ray drive.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. I actually patched my drive. It's Libre compatible now. I play and rip 4k content just fine. I have various programs I use for burning and ripping. I've been all over makemkv reading and learning.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went the BDA-approved route because I was ready to upgrade my desktop PCs with newer hardware and don't want to rip my UHD Blu-ray discs at this time. This worked well for my purposes but I understand it isn't a workable solution for everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm sorry what is BDA approved
    Quote Quote  
  8. Libre is the way to go. As already said good choice, no penny wasted. Just like me. Libre is fine.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by rip-it6817 View Post
    I actually patched my drive. It's Libre compatible now. I play and rip 4k content just fine. I have various programs I use for burning and ripping. I've been all over makemkv reading and learning.
    how did you patch the drive ?, can you write the correct procedure? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have this model, I can say that a very good choice. Yes, It is a "UHD friendly" but is very good for ripping. this drive is supported by DeUHD
    Quote Quote  
  11. I Only ever patched the Asus. I'll send you a link to my YouTube video. I have another one that will soon be for sale.
    https://youtu.be/5Wez-bjcSv0
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry what is BDA approved
    It means the drive and software have been licensed by the Blu-ray Disc Association, a group of companies responsible for the creation of Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray. These companies own the patents for much of the technology, control access to the technical specs for Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray, and certify that hardware players, optical drives, and software players meet their requirements and standards.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Sep 2021 at 14:56.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Where can I read up on this subject.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where can I read up on this subject.
    blu-raydisc.com

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=287599

Cyberlink's system requirements for PowerDVD 21 Ultra https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_US.html

PDNews Issue 7 download from https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64399.page

Cyberlink's user forum.

...use a search engine?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok.i see. I don't really watch. Movies on my pc. But I have not had problems with VLC playing UHD.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok.i see. I don't really watch. Movies on my pc. But I have not had problems with VLC playing UHD.
    ...and I actually do watch my UHD Blu-ray discs with my PC using PowerDVD Ultra. As I said, I'm not interested in ripping them.
    Quote Quote  
  17. This is how I like watching mine

Name:	VideoCapture_20210924-213356.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	60928  

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is how I like watching mine
    With VLC? Oh my!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Lol. No either from my server, a disk, stream it or my hard drive that runs through my audio video receiver. Projected on my screen or my TV in my home theater
    I Just don't watch movies on my pc when I have a home theater, Its still a work in progress. Nothing like watching a movie on a 140" screen
    I was just stating VLC plays UHD just fine on my pc

Name:	20210925_011509.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	60932  

Last edited by rip-it6817; 25th Sep 2021 at 01:20.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't ever wanted a dedicated home theater room and need to get ready to downsize. So, small is beautiful, and less is more. Fortunately, I'm more of a TV watcher and will never have a huge movie collection that I need to put on a server.

I have used VLC for 4K HDR files. VLC is OK although playback isn't always smooth even using a 6-core, 6 thread CPU that provides QSV HEVC decoding. PowerDVD works better. I did buy a Sony UHD Blu-ray player when my old Blu-ray player died. I will probably replace my HD TV with a 4K TV next year,
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Sep 2021 at 15:47. Reason: correct typo
    Quote Quote  
  21. Understandable not everyone wants a home theater. I've always wanted one since a child. I have 2 monitors and 1 TV connected to my desktop. With a 2.1. But it's nothing like the feel of your heart snatched out of your body from the base.
    Quote Quote