VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Someone asked me this question recently, and I did not recall the answer. There used to be a utility program available here that was for safely editing the firmware in DVD burners, to remove any Region lock. I can recall downloading several editions of it. This program got updated regularly for a number of years, always with a list of applicable burner makes & models. What was that program ? Is it totally passe now -- for various reasons, and the passage of time ? (Like burners no longer having a Region lock enforced ?) Did it ever extend to Blu-Ray burner models ? And when did development on this program cease ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might have been thinking of DVD Genie.

However this only worked for RPC1 drives and most, if not all, drives are now RPC2. So it no longer will work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Someone asked me this question recently, and I did not recall the answer. There used to be a utility program available here that was for safely editing the firmware in DVD burners, to remove any Region lock. I can recall downloading several editions of it. This program got updated regularly for a number of years, always with a list of applicable burner makes & models. What was that program ? Is it totally passe now -- for various reasons, and the passage of time ? (Like burners no longer having a Region lock enforced ?) Did it ever extend to Blu-Ray burner models ? And when did development on this program cease ?
    dvdfab has a product called DVDFab Region Reset - https://www.dvdfab.cn/download.htm?trackID=headmenu2
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you thinking of dosflash? used to be a big part of cdfreaks? there was never a unified version for all cd drives but lots of drive firmware was available for different makes/models.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Back in the day there was a site called dvdutils. Quite sure that is where I obtained the file to flash my first dvd-drive (RP-1). It was actually purchased in NY in 2000 so, obviously, was R1. Did not matter that much right then since R2 dvds were pretty rare beasts and my first few disks were also acquired on that trip.

But that was a hardware flash. The software now discussed did not actually flash the drive but changed the region or reset the change counter in the software that restricts changes to 5 times.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You might have been thinking of DVD Genie.

However this only worked for RPC1 drives and most, if not all, drives are now RPC2. So it no longer will work.

None of those mentioned so far seems to click for me (yet), so I may have to go back through a lot of old downloads storage to see if something else jumps out. I don't recall this as being just a temporary measure -- as in Reset up to 5 times -- but I could easily be wrong.

Are you saying that the burners sold now (such as Pioneer BR burners) are Region Locked, and there is nothing one can do about that ? I don't recall having any problems ripping much of anything, but then the foreign region discs that come my way are few and far between.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All drives are now 'Region Locked' but the dvdfab software appears to work in conjunction with software players (Region info is stored there) to over-ride it and reset the counter if necc.

Dvdfab Passkey works in the same way - the drive is Region Free as long as the s/w is running in the background.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you are just looking to change a drives region, then open device manager right click on the drive and one of the options is to change it's region. with limited attempts.

[Attachment 55255 - Click to enlarge]
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote