VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to copy vhs tapes to dvd on this machine. I'm using dvd-r dvd's. I have followed all the directions in the manual, p-50-51. When I get to step #8 (DUBBING), the step which is supposed to start the process, I get the red circle with the slash through it..... the No Good entry, or not available symbol. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? I've tried a couple of different manufacturer dvd's. Is there a preferred manufacturer?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are these home-recorded VHS tapes?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the tapes are home recorded. No macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the brand and type of DVD media you bought works for recording other sources, it should work for dubbing a VHS tape.

I have owned 2 DVD recorders but never a DVD/VHS combo recorder, let alone the one you have. If you followed all the instructions to the letter, the only thing I can think of is there is something wrong with the tape. Have you tried playing the tape to make sure it's OK?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried formatting the dvd -r disc's ??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The error symbol can mean one of two things: (a) The capture is too large to fit on a disc, (b) your VCR is transmitting false copy protection signals, which is a fault of the unit's low-quality player tbc (if a tbc circuit exists).

If you look over several years of posts in this and other video forums you'll soon get the idea that recording VHS to DVD with a so-so DVD/VHS combo gives you some of the worst quality possible. Don't throw away your tapes.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote