VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just aquired a Refurb Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop. The burner in it is a TSST DVD-RW 216BB. I find that it will burn a DVD format disc, but neither of my DVD players will read it. They are a Philips regular DVD player and a Sony Bluray Player. I discovered it when I sent some discs to my local Public Access station and they could not play them either. It will record and play Data Discs fine but will not recognize a dvd with vob files on it as a dvd.
    I am using the same burner (Burnaware free) that I've been using for a couple of years without any problems before. Even updated to the latest version, still the same problem.
    Any one have similar problems? Or possible solution.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try using imgburn to burn the discs and use good quality media such as verbatim and burn the discs at 4x speed.
    what kind of files are you trying to burn ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 on using always using Imgburn

In addition, what brand of disc are you using? The only currently available recommended discs are Verbatim Datalife (AZO in the Purple or Orange packaging) and possibly Taiyo Yuden. Any other discs may be cause of your issues.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dfisher052 View Post
    Or possible solution.
    If using Imgburn and changing the DVD media does not improve readability, replacing the DVD drive would cost about $25 - $30.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do the disks play in the computer?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They play in the computer. I'm using Sony discs. If this was a case of using a new setup I would think maybe that was the problem, but I've been using Sony discs with my previous burner with NO problems. I would say that in the last 4 or 5 years I've gone through over 1000 discs without a single bad one. Also, I've been using Burnaware free all that time with NO problems. The only thing that has changed is using the new burner that came with the computer.
    What I was hoping for was someone who might have encountered the same problem with the same burner and might have found a solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, can you post your sony blu-ray name?
    Also I noticed, it should not support DVD-R DL, at least it isn't mentioned in specs I found for your internal DVD burning machine. But this can't be problem, when it is readable in comp.
    And is your blu-ray players able to read some original DVD? Are you sure, that DVD laser hasn't gone?

Edit: O.k. read OP more carefully. So if data disc is readable, can't be problem in firmware? Latest I found is from 2006 or so, don't know if specs of dvd somehow changes it is 11 years. And last thing, aren't your dvd's pal or other region?

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 19th Jan 2018 at 09:49. Reason: EDIT
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pal vs. Ntsc ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Sony is BDP-S 1200. It reads any DVD or bluray disc, no problem, including dvd's that i've burned with my previous burner, which was a Sony NEC Optiarc. I can't swap it because the Lenovo connection are sata and the Optiarc is the old style ata. Also the lenovo DVD is verticle mount and the tray in the Optiarc is for horizontal, no holders to keep the disc from falling out.
    I'm the U.S. so we are NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried it in any other stand-alone player?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Sony is BDP-S 1200. It reads any DVD or bluray disc, no problem, including dvd's that i've burned with my previous burner, which was a Sony NEC Optiarc. I can't swap it because the Lenovo connection are sata and the Optiarc is the old style ata. Also the lenovo DVD is verticle mount and the tray in the Optiarc is for horizontal, no holders to keep the disc from falling out.
    is the video that you are trying to burn something you made yourself -[ home made dvd] or is it something downloaded from the internet ??
    Last edited by october262; 19th Jan 2018 at 12:41.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes... my Philips player, which has always played any dvd that i've burned in the past & also at the Public Access station. I've been supplying dvd's to the station for about 5 years with never a problem, but the last ones I brought to them that were burned with the new burner would not play on their system. I brought them the same program burned as a data disc and it played fine, also played on both my players, but not the ones burned in dvd format. BTW, I can go to the Video_TS folder and click on the Video_TS.Ifo and it will play, but when you first put in the disc it will not be recognized. So, the info is there, it just is not being recognized by the player...any of them.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes... my Philips player, which has always played any dvd that i've burned in the past & also at the Public Access station. I've been supplying dvd's to the station for about 5 years with never a problem, but the last ones I brought to them that were burned with the new burner would not play on their system. I brought them the same program burned as a data disc and it played fine, also played on both my players, but not the ones burned in dvd format. BTW, I can go to the Video_TS folder and click on the Video_TS.Ifo and it will play, but when you first put in the disc it will not be recognized. So, the info is there, it just is not being recognized by the player...any of them.
    how fast are you burning the discs ??
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is a program that I film myself. It always has been and has always played. It is a curch service and I make copies for others and have never had one not play on others players...until now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably you can compare structure of DVD, compare ifo files, or probably post Mediainfo. I think the problem is it isn't properly authored. It must be something wrong with disc, when it plays when you show them ifo...

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THey burn at around 10x.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try slowing down the burn speed to 4x. 10x is too fast and results in more burn errors.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did try slower speed. Same results. I have no doubt that the problem is with the burner. If i've been making discs for over 5 years that worked with my previous burners (2 different Optiarcs and 1 Samsung) that worked and all of a sudden I now use a TSST in the Lenovo giving me dvd's that don't work, I'd have to come to the conclusion that the problem is with the TSST. All I'm looking for is hopefully someone else might have had the same problem and what they might have done to resolve the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    can't be problem TSST? it means TSST stands for Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology
    Probably bad for DVD, but don't think so, it should be really coincidence....

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have the latest version of BurnAware installed? If not, try updating it. Your current version BurnAware may not have a write strategy that is a good match for your "new" TSST drive and your Sony media. That one reason is why using Imgburn and different media were suggested to you.

There are adapters which are designed allow using PATA drive with a SATA motherboard, but a new drive wouldn't cost much more than the adapters.

I have an Asus DRW-24B1ST which has hooks, although they are tiny and hard to see. If you happen to buy a new drive which has no hooks or ineffective hooks, can you use the Lenovo lying flat? Some of the Lenovo SFF models can be used in both a tower and a desktop orientation.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to download Imgburn and see if that works.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Imgburn worked! Don't know why BurnAware didn't, but guess it just doesn't like this particular dvd drive. Thanks all for your suggestions & help in solving my problem.
    Quote Quote