VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The problem is that I opened ffmpegx located all of the components, clicked install, but for mpeg2enc it (the download link) stayed red and " mpeg2enc location not defined" came up and then under it "You must locate mpeg2enc file in your disk by clicking on Locate... in order to install it." I then tried locating another couple of times, even changing the file name, re-downloading the thing and putting it in different folders. Would anyone here know what to do about this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Download mpeg2enc from Sourceforge.net. Option-click the link for a direct download (in order to prevent Safari from trying to interpret the binary as something to display in a window). Leave the downloaded file where it is, don't move it, your default download location is fine. Don't rename it (actually the filename doesn't matter at all; you could rename it to "binary1.file" and the installer would fix it while copying).
    Check that the file is 501,480 bytes in size.
    Use the Locate button to tell the installer where to downloaded file is.
    Keep the checkboxes set for components that you want to install.
    Enter your user account password.
    Install.
    Done.
    (The installer will have copied and altered the binaries, so the downloaded files are no longer needed. Archive or delete.)

(Some people had more luck with this zipped copy. Unzip before use.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Didn't work. I even tried using Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To me, it's not very clear exactly what doesn't work and where it starts to break.

Do the other two binaries install correctly, if you uncheck the mpeg2enc checkbox and don't Locate mpeg2enc for now?

What OS version are you running? What kind of Mac with what configuration do you try to install it on? Please fill in the Computer Details in your Profile on this forum.

Checking that the application itself is okay: Did you get ffmpegX 0.0.9y from the official website?

Checking that the downloaded mpeg2enc binary is okay: Is your binary 501,480 bytes in size?
    If you can, verify the file mpeg2enc.intel by using a checksum utility (e.g. checkSum+). CRC32 checksum is AA25EDED; MD5 checksum is 7cad2f12971a2e69535778b56b3f9485.

Did you try downloading the zipped copy of mpeg2enc instead, as mentioned in post #2?

After using the Locate buttons in the installer window, the URLs on the right should change to the local path. Could you make a screenshot of that window and post it here?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi, I am having the same exact problem. My info box says "You can't open the application gnutar because PowerPC applications are no longer supported". I clicked on the download given above, still doesn't work. Not sure if this tid-bit of info will help
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 8.06.42 PM.png
Views:	765
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	15812  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arielterrible View Post
    Hi, I am having the same exact problem. My info box says "You can't open the application gnutar because PowerPC applications are no longer supported". I clicked on the download given above, still doesn't work. Not sure if this tid-bit of info will help
    Are you using the “Lion” version of ffmpegX? If not, do upgrade to ffmpegX 0.0.9y-L.
    Earlier versions have a copy of gnutar included that is PPC code, which won't run on Mac OS X 10.6 (without Rosetta), 10.7 or 10.8.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Originally Posted by arielterrible View Post
    Hi, I am having the same exact problem. My info box says "You can't open the application gnutar because PowerPC applications are no longer supported". I clicked on the download given above, still doesn't work. Not sure if this tid-bit of info will help
    Are you using the “Lion” version of ffmpegX? If not, do upgrade to ffmpegX 0.0.9y-L.
    Earlier versions have a copy of gnutar included that is PPC code, which won't run on Mac OS X 10.6 (without Rosetta), 10.7 or 10.8.
    Same problem here in Mavericks. ffmpegX (0.0.9y-L) refuses to "see" mpeg2enc.

In fact it was refusing to see mencoder and mplayer, as well, but when I moved all three files manually into /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX (after creating the folder myself), ffmpegX stopped asking for those two. But it continues to complain about mpeg2enc.

The file is properly downloading. from the ffmpegX site, it downloaded with the name mpeg2enc.intel. I also tried removing/hiding the .intel "extension," but there was no change. (I now also see that you the name of the file doesn't matter.) Nothing works: I can't use the self-installer at launch, nor does ffmpegX recognize the file when manually placed into the folder (with the other two files that *are* recognized).

Here's the exact error message (copied and pasted, not typed):

The installation was not successful.

##sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
    sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post

In fact it was refusing to see mencoder and mplayer, as well, but when I moved all three files manually into /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX (after creating the folder myself), ffmpegX stopped asking for those two. But it continues to complain about mpeg2enc.
    Please don't place the binaries manually where they should go. The installer does a bit more that just copying these three binary files. The installer might skip these extra bits if it finds these binaries in their installed location. You will not end up with a working ffmpegX.

Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome
    [...] I can't use the self-installer at launch [...]

This error would happen if you have a “special” character, like an apostrophe or quote character, in a folder name (e.g.: Pete's files) that the installer is looking at. Or it would happen if you have a “special character,” like an accented character (e.g. é) or symbol (e.g. ", ' or ®), in your account password.
    Rename the offending folder and/or (temporarily) change your account password to something simpler, only using characters from the groups A-Z, a-z, 0-9.

Let us know how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post

Please don't place the binaries manually where they should go. The installer does a bit more that just copying these three binary files. The installer might skip these extra bits if it finds these binaries in their installed location. You will not end up with a working ffmpegX.
    Thank you. That should be explained somewhere, because there's nothing in the documentation that suggests that anything is being done, other than the placement of those files in the folder mentioned.

Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome
    [...] I can't use the self-installer at launch [...]

This error would happen if you have a “special” character, like an apostrophe or quote character, in a folder name (e.g.: Pete's files) that the installer is looking at. Or it would happen if you have a “special character,” like an accented character (e.g. é) or symbol (e.g. ", ' or ®), in your account password.
    Rename the offending folder and/or (temporarily) change your account password to something simpler, only using characters from the groups A-Z, a-z, 0-9.

Let us know how it goes.
    Thank you. Then the error message should say that. The current message is cryptic and unhelpful. If it simply stated what you just explained, the user could make adjustments on the spot.

That said, it's also inexplicable that characters that are allowed in both folder/directory names and in passwords — characters that are in fact encouraged, in order to ensure that passwords are more secure — would cause this installer to fail. This is the first time I've ever encountered an installer that is sensitive to otherwise-perfectly-legal characters in the Mac OS. In fact, having just done a clean install on my machine, I just had to run dozens and dozens and dozens of installers — of essentially everything on my machine — and not once did an installer complain about my password (which does include non alphanumeric characters). This frankly suggests a flaw, in the installer, that should be addressed.

Yes, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having a similar problem trying to install mpeg2enc. I download the binary (mpeg2enc.intel)to my desktop, locate it when FF opens, type in my password, but when I go to install I get the message - ##sudo: unable ot stat/etc/sudoers: Permission denied sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting.

I've used ffmpegX before with no problems. Any idea's?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by quito View Post
    I am having a similar problem trying to install mpeg2enc.
    Yours is not similar at all.

Originally Posted by quito
    I download the binary (mpeg2enc.intel) to my desktop, locate it when FF opens, type in my password, but when I go to install I get the message - ##sudo: unable to stat /etc/sudoers: Permission denied sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting.
    This is not an issue with ffmpegX. Sudo seems messed up. This is an issue with Mac OS X. The system can't find who may execute commands as root.
    On your system, the installer program tries to use the sudo command, but it seems it fails when it can't open a system file to see who is authorized to do so. Either a file is messed up, or the system's permissions are messed up.

Try /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app to fix permissions on system files.

One thing that is (or used to be) beyond this repair, is the boot volume itself. If the permissions are off on that, you may need to correct it manually:
    Reboot your Mac in Single User mode. (Hold down Cmd-S when you first hear the boot chime. Keep holding it down until you start seeing text on the screen. The system will boot into Single User mode with a root shell.)
    Type
    Code:
    mount -uw /
    chmod a+x /
    exit
    Single User mode will have the root partition mounted as read-only at that time. The mount command re-mounts it as read-write. The chmod command sets the executable permission for all, while leaving other permissions (read, write) as-is. The exit command exits the shell and lets your Mac resume the booting process.

(This last section has solved the “sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting” error for some Terminal users, unrelated to ffmpegX afaik, but still applicable to the ffmpegX installer.)
    Quote Quote