VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any difference? When would you use one or the other?

I have a Camcorder that supports both.

Which is best to.

I have a box of each.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RL View Post
    Is there any difference? When would you use one or the other?

I have a Camcorder that supports both.

Which is best to.

I have a box of each.

Thanks
    There are technical differences between DVD+RW and DVD-RW but the practical are as follows:

VR mode is used when a camera records to DVD-RW. Discs recorded in VR mode require finalization to be readable by a DVD player.

+VR mode is used when the camera records to DVD+RW. In addition to the standard VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories, discs recorded in +VR mode also have an extra directory named VIDEO_RM which is used to store temporary recording information. Discs recorded in +VR mode don't require finalization to be readable by a DVD player that supports +R media. (For a few years after the invention of DVD+R and DVD+RW media, DVD players supported either +R/+RW or -R/-RW but not both.)

I had a DVD recorder that accepted both types of recordable media and I used both types of media. DVD+RW was convenient due to not needing finalization. DVD-RW was easier to find and I had a lot of -RW discs left from my first DVD recorder, which only accepted DVD-RW.

[Edit] I just read Scott's reply in your other thread. I assumed that your camera only created DVD video discs, as my DVD recorders did. DVD Video mode recording was the only option for DVD-R or DVD+R media. I can't remember if DVD Video mode was an option for rewritable media. +VR mode and -VR mode made more sense for rewritable media anyway because those recording formats allowed deleting the latest recording on the disc to re-use the space.

None of the information in my post applies to AVCHD discs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Apr 2023 at 22:57.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What brand is your camcorder? If it's a Panasonic I'd suggest you stick with - media, Panasonics and even Pioneer and early Toshibas are more native to - media. If it's a Funai made recorder I'd go with + media as they record to either format just as well and as UQ said, + media has a few advantages. Lastly if you happen to have a very old first gen DVD player then I'd suggest you record to - media as very old players refused to play + media, my first DVD player, Apex brand, refused to play + media and it wasn't the only brand in the day.
    Quote Quote