VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an external Verbatim Slimline Blu-Ray Writer. I have successfully burned various types of discs, including M-Discs. I am unable to burn Verbatim 25 GB BD-R (MABL) discs. The writer does not recognize the media ("media not recognized" displayed in Image Burn) and shuts off after about 20 seconds. Do discs using MABL technology require a different kind of writer than I have? I have had my Slimline for less than a year but when I bought it appeared to be have been made at least 5 or 6 years earlier. In case there is a way to update the writer, I do not see an update option in Device Manager where the drive is listed. The driver is very old.

Does anybody have an idea how to get this Blu-Ray writer to work with those discs, or can you tell me which Blu-Ray writer will work with MABL discs, please?

Verbatim Slimline (by Pioneer) BD-RW BDR-UD03
    Driver 6/21/2006

Dell Optiplex, Windows 10 Pro

Burn software: Image Burn
    Last edited by tigertooth; 14th Aug 2022 at 14:47.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When you put the disc in the drive does windows show an unknown disc in drive type of message?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tigertooth View Post
    I have an external Verbatim Slimline Blu-Ray Writer. I have successfully burned various types of discs, including M-Discs. I am unable to burn Verbatim 25 GB BD-R (MABL) discs. The writer does not recognize the media ("media not recognized" displayed in Image Burn) and shuts off after about 20 seconds. Do discs using MABL technology require a different kind of writer than I have? I have had my Slimline for less than a year but when I bought it appeared to be have been made at least 5 or 6 years earlier. In case there is a way to update the writer, I do not see an update option in Device Manager where the drive is listed. The driver is very old.

Does anybody have an idea how to get this Blu-Ray writer to work with those discs, or can you tell me which Blu-Ray writer will work with MABL discs, please?

Driver 6/21/2006

MABL is short for Metal Ablative Recording Layer - https://forum.imgburn.com/topic/25827-writing-filesfolders-to-verbatim-bd-r-xl-tl-blu-ray-discs/
    might try uninstalling the drive, restart your computer, and let windows reinstall the drive, and then retry your blank discs
    and see if windows will recognize the blank disc.
    Last edited by october262; 14th Aug 2022 at 19:56.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    When you put the disc in the drive does windows show an unknown disc in drive type of message?
    At the bottom of Image Burn it says Device not ready (Medium not present - Tray closed)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Look at your disc icon in windows 10 my pc,not imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by tigertooth View Post
    I have an external Verbatim Slimline Blu-Ray Writer. I have successfully burned various types of discs, including M-Discs. I am unable to burn Verbatim 25 GB BD-R (MABL) discs. The writer does not recognize the media ("media not recognized" displayed in Image Burn) and shuts off after about 20 seconds. Do discs using MABL technology require a different kind of writer than I have? I have had my Slimline for less than a year but when I bought it appeared to be have been made at least 5 or 6 years earlier. In case there is a way to update the writer, I do not see an update option in Device Manager where the drive is listed. The driver is very old.

Driver 6/21/2006

MABL is short for Metal Ablative Recording Layer - https://forum.imgburn.com/topic/25827-writing-filesfolders-to-verbatim-bd-r-xl-tl-blu-ray-discs/
    might try uninstalling the drive, restart your computer, and let windows reinstall the drive, and then retry your blank discs
    and see if windows will recognize the blank disc.
    I know what MABL is and that's why I'm trying to burn to those discs.

I unplugged the drive, restarted the PC, plugged in the drive and I still get the same Device not ready (Medium not present - Tray closed).

I don't know if it's the drive or the PC that doesn't recognize the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Look at your disc icon in windows 10 my pc,not imgburn.
    The disc icon shows and says BD-R. If I click on Properties it says under General:

Used space 0 bytes
    Free space: 0 bytes
    Capacity 0: bytes
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Might be that your drive just doesn't like those discs,is there an updated bios you can apply to your drive?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Might be that your drive just doesn't like those discs,is there an updated bios you can apply to your drive?
    PD Bios: Dell 1.20.0, 3/23/2022

No idea how I would apply an updated BIOS to the drive.

For some reason, Nero Express launched while I was messing around and it showed the disc's free space. However, I have no idea how Nero Express works and I can't even find out how to choose a file system for burning discs. Nero is also outdated. It came with the drive when I bought it last year.

I just found out that when I double-click the DVD icon in My Pc it says Windows can't read the disc in Drive E. make sure the disc uses a format Windows recognizes. If the disc is unformatted you need to format it before using it.

I have never had to format a blank DVD before writing to it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Never mind, I overlooked something in Image Burn. I failed to check the Destination Window. My inbuilt non-BR DVD drive was selected instead of the external BR drive. How embarrassing. Thanks for all the help anyway. You made me look more closely and made me go over everything repeatedly.

Anyway, I have of course another question. For a data disc (mostly image files), which UDF file system should I use for best compatibility now and in the future? PC compatibility is a must, Mac compatibility would be nice. From what I've read, I think I should go with UDF 1.02 or UDF 1.5. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote