VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a few Sony Handycams/VCRs that I got for free, but there's a few scratches. Is there any way to polish or buff these to have reduce or remove the scratch?
    [Attachment 47959 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 47960 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 47961 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 47962 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Plastic polish. Be advised that if you use it on painted parts, you will have to repaint them. Those shiny silver parts are painted.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Plastic polish. Be advised that if you use it on painted parts, you will have to repaint them. Those shiny silver parts are painted.
    In pic #3, would I need to paint that one? And where could I find the paint for the other 3 images?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    You have to take the part off to know for sure if it's painted. Use plain old spray paint.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    You have to take the part off to know for sure if it's painted. Use plain old spray paint.
    Should I use tape around the scratch? So like spray paint from Home Depot, polish the scratch, and them spray the paint? And how can I make sure I get the right color of paint?
    Last edited by Vitality; 2nd Feb 2019 at 20:20.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Try a hobby shop. You're unlikely to find an exact match. But if you spray the whole part, you will have to restore the decals/silkscreens. Why go to all this trouble??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Try a hobby shop. You're unlikely to find an exact match. But if you spray the whole part, you will have to restore the decals/silkscreens. Why go to all this trouble??
    What if I put tape around the scratch, so the "off-color" won't be as noticeable? I just like it to look a little bit better.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Krylon makes paint that can adhere to most cleaned plastic surfaces, but I doubt you would find a exact color match.
    You might have to blend several colors, then brush it on with an artist brush, thinned with the correct liquid thinner..
    You could also look to paint for plastic 'toy' models, though it may not wear well.
    I would probably live with the scratches and not risk the possible damage to the surface of the camcorder.

Yes, you could use masking tape, blue or green type may seal the edges better than the cheap stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    But then you will have a little mismatched stripe of color that will draw as much attention to itself as the scratch.
    Quote Quote  
  10. To match colors you need first to decontaminate the surface with melamine foam + water ONLY (this is how we did at Sony), be aware that the melamine foam remove silk screen markings and everything else, including body paint:

And only after that you'll mix up your own paint to match the colors using spectrophotometry and for that you need a spectrophotometer, your best option is to Google for "match car colors", find a company to sell you the paint and type of pain you need.

This need to be done by a professional by the anyway.

That markings can be removed away by heat, hot press and other techniques that I'm not disclosing any of it because people learn this over 10 to 15 years of practice and can't be compacted in a "10 easy steps" how to.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    Good luck.
    So, all you need is melamine foam (Aisle 3 at Home Depot, no doubt), a spectrophotometer, and 10 to 15 years of experience before you even start.
    Are you here just to boast?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    So, all you need is melamine foam (Aisle 3 at Home Depot, no doubt), a spectrophotometer, and 10 to 15 years of experience before you even start.
    Are you here just to boast?
    What are you here for?
    What are the value of information you give away to other people?
    And who are you to judge? Who gave you the authority?

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

Answering your question.

At the time I've learned about melamine and surface decontamination there wasn't Internet, there wasn't a forum, there wasn't no one to answer my question. I had expend hours to dig up the info from old books in a library without a search function, not to say it was a two hour travel from my home to the nearest library. Today with Google we can find any information we want, take for example the key information I gave, Google "surface decontamination color reading spectrophotometer" my first result was this link:
    https://www.shimadzu.com/an/uv/support/uv/ap/color.html

The second result point in to this color match experiment:
    https://isle.hanover.edu/Ch06Color/Ch06ColorMatchExp.html

The third point in to this document about color matching:
    https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00469863/document

Now you take another valid information of my, Google "color matching spectrophotometer", the first result points to this site:
    https://sensing.konicaminolta.us/learning-center/youtube/color-matching-with-cm-2600d-...trophotometer/

The second one it shows the best practices for color formulation to match color:
    https://sensing.konicaminolta.us/blog/best-practices-color-formulation-to-match-color-...e-efficiently/

As you can see, with the correct information AND GOOD WILL people will find the information they are looking for, learn the basics and understand what they have to go thought to achieve their goal. It took me 10 to 15 years to master it, using the technology we have today people can learn it in a lot less time. Excuse me but I won't take some people by the hand to teach anything, if they have a question I will answer it, if possible.

If you take any of my posts that you see me talking about specifics and if you Google the main key words I use, you'll find out that it will expand the information given. Take another information that I give, Google "remove scratches plastic heat", it point out to this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prkmzHx4Bmc

This another one show how not to do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3AOq_oAbA4

This is the case when you use a hot press to avoid the shinny spots.

If all this looks like I'm here for boasts to you, is because you don't worth the shit you take, matter of fact, you don't worth a damn.
    Try "Quora", there you can share what you think you know and guess a lot of answers, you are good doing this around here.
    Quote Quote