VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to get an MOV to VCD in FFmpeg X
    I have a few music videos i just downloaded and they are in mov format.
    Ive also ripped a DVD witch has subtitles in it.(mediapipes mpeg encoder comes out really pixely and bad quality)
    Please tell me if there is a way or if major could update his program.

Q
    "Good Luck 007"
    In Memory of Desmond Llewelyn
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can go from MOV-->VCD in Quicktime or MMT. If you really wanted to encode your movie in ffmpegX, you could first export your movie to an .avi w/DV video compression in QT. It'll take a while a while, though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    umm... doing it in ffmpegx isnt going to help, the mpeg encoder use for each program is the same.. mpeg2enc, so you are going to get the same quality mpeg-1 from each program--- if the mov file is smaller than the mpeg you convert to the quality is going to suck regardless, quicktime movie is only good slightly compressed or not compressed at all... that is why a dvd decoded to quicktiem movie takes up about 10x as much space-
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, FFmpeg puts out much better quality than mediapipe.
    I have had a lot of trouble with mediapipe quality wise. too blocky.
    "Good Luck 007"
    In Memory of Desmond Llewelyn
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    actually... you could be right.. it probably uses ffmpeg for mpeg-1 encoding and mpeg2enc for mpeg-2 encoding... i'm not certain... sorry bout that. although im sure you could get equal quality out of mediapipe if you play around with the settings.. i dont do much mpeg-1 encoding so i'm not sure how to get the best quality out of either.
    Quote Quote