VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

Asking for tips for by brother. He bought a Sony CX-405 recently. His PC is a Pentium Core-2 running Windows XP. He uses Premiere 6.5 to edit his video and burns into DVDs. His current videos are from the Sony camcorders and imported via firewire connection. Now, he just want to use his current system to edit the videos from his CX-405 video camera.
    1. How to import the videos from the microSD card ? Can it be transferred using USB adapter ?
    2. Possible for Premiere 6.5 to edit AVCHD or MP4 format directly ?
    3. If item 2 is not possible, is it ok to use Winx Converter to convert AVCHD or MP4 clips to AVI format ?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Premiere 6.5 manual says nothing about AVCHD or .mts files, so you're probably out of luck. Windows XP on a Pentium is also likely to be grossly underpowered.

You can convert the camera files to something like DV avi or HDV, but you're not going to be able to take advantage of the camera's capabilities.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    The Premiere 6.5 manual says nothing about AVCHD or .mts files, so you're probably out of luck. Windows XP on a Pentium is also likely to be grossly underpowered.

You can convert the camera files to something like DV avi or HDV, but you're not going to be able to take advantage of the camera's capabilities.
    Thanks.
    I suppose he is well aware of degradation of video quality. He does not wish to relearn using Windows 10 and Premiere CS. Of course, spend $ on a new system.
    I guess he just have to try importing via USB and convert them to AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avidemux has a 32-bit version that works fine on XP with mp4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

Not the greatest solution but it works.
    Use WinX DVD Converter and PAL DVD format as the output profile(mpeg2 + ac3) and change the file extension from .vob to .mpg.
    Import into Premiere 6.5 and edit.

Update on 22 July 2018
    Scratch the above method. Premiere 6.5 crashed with many mpeg files in the asset.

I use WinFF(ffmpeg) and convert MTS format to AVI format files.
    Last edited by pchan; 21st Jul 2018 at 21:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GSP_87 View Post
    Avidemux has a 32-bit version that works fine on XP with mp4.
    Thanks for the tips.
    I was looking at it but its description but it didn't indicate MTS format and that let me to Winx. Winx was a deep mud hole to climb out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinFF didn't do it. For some reason, Premiere 6.5 on Win XP just couldn't take the DV file.
    I went back to the good old VirtualDub-1.10.2 and the first version of VirtualdubFFMpegPlugin and Huffyuv 2.1.1 codec.
    Premiere 6.5 can take the AVI files from this setup without any problem.

VH didn't have the VirtualdubFFMpegPlugin. Can get it from here.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubffmpeginputplugin/files/
    Quote Quote