VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Which video player software has best video/audio quality out of the box?
    All settings default, and no no external codecs downloaded.

How to obtain best video/audio quality in general?
    Any easy way, without extreme codecs installations and configurations?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SMplayer has given me the best video performance in both Windows and Linux. By far. It comes with its own codec library ... no additional codecs needed or used.

I've never found much difference between video players re sound but they can be quite different with video.

However, I wouldn't say that ANY app will work its best without tweaking settings. That request makes no sense whatsoever.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My favorite is Potplayer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    SMplayer has given me the best video performance in both Windows and Linux. By far. It comes with its own codec library ... no additional codecs needed or used.

I've never found much difference between video players re sound but they can be quite different with video.

However, I wouldn't say that ANY app will work its best without tweaking settings. That request makes no sense whatsoever.
    I always do little tweaking with all software (maybe 15 minutes max.), but I have no interest for extreme tweaking which can take hours.

Whats tweaks you do apply for SMplayer?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Big advantage of Potplayer is you needn't restart player, when you apply some changes. So when you change videorenderer the change is immediately not after restart, so do 5 changes can exhausted someone to do 5 restarts...
    Edit: only think I know you have to stop -> play video to change takes effects is when you change video decoder. For example from FFmpeg to Cuvid, but it is only thing i noticed. So no needed restart of player.
    Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 31st Jan 2018 at 12:12. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zizoret View Post
    I always do little tweaking with all software (maybe 15 minutes max.), but I have no interest for extreme tweaking which can take hours.

Whats tweaks you do apply for SMplayer?
    Not that much, I always set the local file cache to 8192K and set it to prefill that to 50%. I think that's one of the best video player speed tweaks around, and why VLC chooses to hide it in Codecs in the Advanced menu is beyond me. But I think VLC is just about the most over rated program around.

Other video settings depend somewhat on hardware, and I don't use it in Windows any more.
    Quote Quote