VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With some blu-rays, I'm starting to see this message in red:

"Warning: Your blu-ray player requires an update in order to play this disc. Please visit your blu-ray player's manufacturers website and follow their instructions to update your blu-ray player. For additional information on Blu-ray player updates, please visit the Blu-Ray Update website at http://blu-raydisc.com/ForBestResults. Twentieth Century Fox and MGM are not responsible for the content or practices of manufacturers websites. Each manufacturer controls and is responsible for its own website."

That message appears even if a blu-ray is decrypted using MakeMKV, and then rebuilt using BD Rebuilder in "Full Backup" mode. So that got me to wondering what's going on.

Does anyone know? I worry that these blu-rays that won't play and that give the red warning message are somehow checking to confirm that a blu-ray player has perhaps a certain level of copy protection. Or maybe something worse, like when it says to update your blu-ray player it'll add copy protection that won't play my backups. I'm not finding a good explanation anywhere and thought perhaps some of the good folks here on VideHelp might know. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope it's not an attempt to make old BD players Cinavia sabe. I have not seen that message on my Cinavia free BD player yet? LG BD-550
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LloydS View Post
    With some blu-rays, I'm starting to see this message in red:

"Warning: Your blu-ray player requires an update in order to play this disc. Please visit your blu-ray player's manufacturers website and follow their instructions to update your blu-ray player. For additional information on Blu-ray player updates, please visit the Blu-Ray Update website at http://blu-raydisc.com/ForBestResults. Twentieth Century Fox and MGM are not responsible for the content or practices of manufacturers websites. Each manufacturer controls and is responsible for its own website."

That message appears even if a blu-ray is decrypted using MakeMKV, and then rebuilt using BD Rebuilder in "Full Backup" mode. So that got me to wondering what's going on.

Does anyone know? I worry that these blu-rays that won't play and that give the red warning message are somehow checking to confirm that a blu-ray player has perhaps a certain level of copy protection. Or maybe something worse, like when it says to update your blu-ray player it'll add copy protection that won't play my backups. I'm not finding a good explanation anywhere and thought perhaps some of the good folks here on VideHelp might know. Thanks!
    Don't try to fix something that isn't broken, so just ignore the warnings as long as your discs are playable. As the Blu-Ray spec continues to evolve, new features are added as well as new copy protection, but an update could have unwanted side effects or brick the player if something goes wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Some disc has "flagged" the player as suspect, so now it must phone home to regenerate proper keys. Otherwise, many/most newer released discs won't play.

This is SOP for Blu-ray AACS copy protection (key revocation & updating), though likely part of the less understood BD+ work (20thCFox is known to use this).

You say this still shows up for "decrypted" & "re-authored" discs...does it show up with OLDER existing original BD releases? If the latter is still OK, that should not occur to "unencrypted" discs. Have you tried any true home-release/personally-authored BD discs (obviously intended to be unencrypted)?

DOES the player still play the disc after showing the message?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Look in your settings and see if there is some setting for firmware updates (warnings). If there is, disable it and try again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you cannot play that disc, then make yourself a back up and play it so you can. You were on the right track, just use a right media player etc. It will take you something less than 1hour, popcorn gets a bit cold but heck .... Personally I found it quite offensive to get this message using standard Blu-Ray player that suppose to be a guarantee for flawless playback ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What brand and model player do you have? Can you name some of the titles that show that message and won't play? Lately I've been playing all my original BD 2d and 3d on the PS3 with the latest firmware with no problems but if I own any of the same titles I'll test them on my older 2D only Seiki.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Some disc has "flagged" the player as suspect, so now it must phone home to regenerate proper keys. Otherwise, many/most newer released discs won't play.

This is SOP for Blu-ray AACS copy protection (key revocation & updating), though likely part of the less understood BD+ work (20thCFox is known to use this).

You say this still shows up for "decrypted" & "re-authored" discs...does it show up with OLDER existing original BD releases? If the latter is still OK, that should not occur to "unencrypted" discs. Have you tried any true home-release/personally-authored BD discs (obviously intended to be unencrypted)?

DOES the player still play the disc after showing the message?

Scott
    All previously made backups still play, but this backup of West Side Story will NOT play at all.

Woodstock, over at the MakeMKV forum, wrote the following, which sorts things out a bit:

"My guess would be that the disk uses BD+ as part of its "copy protection". You might want to read this page: http://www.makemkv.com/svq/

MakeMKV only decodes BD+ when it is converting the file to an MKV; it is expected that a player that understands M2TS files would have its own BD+ interpreter, so the M2TS files are just decrypted, and not "fixed up". When going to a MKV file, MakeMKV will also interpret the BD+ programming, and apply its fixes to the resulting file.

Since BD+ programming gets changed at irregular intervals, "hardware" players have to have their firmware updated periodically. When was the last time you updated the Sony's firmware?"

The Wikipedia article it references is also helpful, though my beanie's propeller doesn't spin fast enough for me to understand everything.

My (unconfirmed) conclusion is that DVDFab, and Anydvd have mastered this BD+ problem, and that MakeMKV has as well when converting to an MKV file, though rebuilding with BD Rebuilder for playback on my "Sony Google TV NSZ-GT1" will probably not work.

I'll be doing more testing and experimenting, and hopefully discover more concrete information. All I want to do is backup my legally purchased copy of West Side Story to a 25GB blu-ray blank. I've had very few problems backing up most other blu-rays that I own, so it's a pain to run into this. Hey, but I like a good challenge, though if someone has discovered a foolproof way to do the backup to a blank blu-ray that circumvents this "red screen of death" (RSOD?), I'd be most grateful to know about it. My method has been MakeMKV to BD Rebuilder to Imgburn and has been reliable (for the most part) till now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I googled the phrase and it seems that some discontinued Insignia models have that problem and I saw a reference to software Cyberlink's DVD player needing a patch at some point. It looked similar to the problem you describe. PowerDVD 10 users may be out of luck though if they hit one of those discs since they are no longer updating it.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Get yourself a WDTV Live, an external HDD and download MakeMKV. No more annoyances like this.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good suggestion hogger129! The folks at MakeMKV also suggested the same thing. Can you believe I didn't even realize that this was a good option only 3 days ago!? But having recently acquired a 4K set (a gift-I'd never be able to afford that), I chose the Minix NEO X8-H Plus android box with free airmouse and Minix A2 remote. Of course, it was more than twice the price of what you suggested, but as Homer says, "What are ya gonna do?"

Thanks for your input.

Lloyd
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just did s google search and it brought me here. I know these threads are 2 yrs old and I had the same error message about updating my blu-ray player. Then while I was reading through some of the answers I decided to start pressing buttons on the remote. Menu, Function, Program, Book Mark, and a few others. Nothing happened. Then I pressed the Mode button and it changed modes, I kept pressing and it went back to the blu-ray mode and it just started to play, the warning was gone!! Weird!
    Quote Quote