VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. anyone have any idea about this and whether it can be used for VHS recorders ?

http://www.rlmediasystems.com/kw8tbc.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It even says it can be used with VHS and then goes on to say it has S-Video and composite video inputs/outputs. So you can use it with any video device that has S-Video and/or composite output. That does of course include VHS.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How much and where?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abbymat
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/196120-REG/Keywest_BVTBC8_BVTBC8_TBC_Frame.html
    Ouch !!!

At $849.95 US Dollars that is not very cheap.

The DataVideo TBC-1000 is much cheaper.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Says it has a Genlock. That term gets used for Key Overlay/Video Mixer function sometimes or could be a true studio timing Genlock. That would explain the price...and then you have to ask if you really need a studio Genlock...

VH
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Originally Posted by abbymat
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/196120-REG/Keywest_BVTBC8_BVTBC8_TBC_Frame.html
    Ouch !!!

At $849.95 US Dollars that is not very cheap.

The DataVideo TBC-1000 is much cheaper.
    I've seen "Key West TBCs" listed on Ebay with some regularity (used, at notably lower cost than this), and wondered about them. But I did not inquire any further, because I intended to get the TBC-1000. That one seems to be able to do what I wanted it for, which the Sima CT-200 could not.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a BVTBC unit. It is the year 2000 model that I scored new on E-bay last year for around $350.

The Good:

The image is better than the old IDEN unit I was using, until the IDEN started kicking out a jittery picture.
    The old Idens are famous for the capacitors wearing out after 10 years or so. That is what causes this problem.

The BVTBC really cleans up the image of a well recorded tape. I have even noticed an improvement with my Master S-VHS tapes recorded from DirecTV. The edges are cleaned up extremely well.

The bleeding red that came out of my JVC 9911 was corrected by adjusting the chorma setting down to .85 from 1.28.

However, now that I have upgraded to a HM DT-100 D-VHS deck, I have the chroma set back to the default of 1.28 as I find the VHS color to come out of this machine the most balanced that I have ever seen.

This Voodoo still provides improvement to my master S-VHS tapes coming out of this deck. (And VHS tapes too)

The Comb and Notch filters work the best for VHS at their default settings: Notch Filter "Off" and Comb Filter to "On", but you can play with the On/Off settings to try and obtain a better picture.

The Bad:

I get this video artifact that shows up on near black screens, and also when I have just a black screen going through it.
    It looks like these light diagonal lines through the picture that look similar to the old interference we used to see in old broadcast TV, but you can not see it in brighter scenes. Plus in the dark scenes, I catch it because I am "looking" for it.

I don't see this all of the time, but the improvements out-weigh the artifacts. I still use it for my VHS to DVD transfers, and when I can not record an OTA broadcast onto DVD without it.

Also, if I put some highly generated tapes through the Voodoo, it kind of "goes nuts" and the picture gets worse.
    I notice most TBC's work this way though.

I have wanted to try a BVTBC10 for signal cleanup, but I have not been able to find one on E-bay for a while. They are REALLY expensive when purchased new, over $1000. For that price I would expect the diagonal line artifacts to disappear, but this may be a simple grounding problem on my end.

As for the BVTBC, it ain't worth $1000, but it is still a useful tool for me.

Peter
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just found one of these used, but it didn't come with the 5v power supply. Can anyone with one of these tell me if the power connector is center positive or center negative?

Thanks,
    Chadd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's -- C +

And the model does have known problems.
    Plarocks lists it out pretty well.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for the heads-up. When the power supply arrives next week, I'll find out if it the BVTBC works. If it does, I'll keep an eye open for diagonal lines in dark scenes.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Oh well. It powers up and passes a signal, but it introduces ghosting, blocky color artifacts, and horizontal white streaks. I get much better results just connecting the composite output of my Panasonic consumer VCR directly to my DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    I just found one of these used, but it didn't come with the 5v power supply. Can anyone with one of these tell me if the power connector is center positive or center negative?
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    It's -- C +
    I have the same question, but it's not clear from the ASCII diagram which one is positive, center? Also, what diameter is the barrel? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I sold mine.
    It was very blah. The DataVideo gear is much better.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a used but tested and working Big Voodoo TBC, but it's coming from Australia, and they do not have a power adaptor with it. So my question for anyone who owns one, I am trying to find out what the specs on a power supply for this are? I can see on the back that it's 5VDC, but the power supplies I have seen online vary on the amps, I've seen 2A and 3A, but I don't want to get the wrong type and damage the unit.

The purpose after reading a lot of posts here is to dub over older vhs tapes to digital, I have a JVC HR-S9911U SUPER VHS S-VHS w internal TBC, but I've read the external TBC will stabilize other factors in the video so I decided to get the Big Voodoo TBC,and the roxio video capture analog to usb w svhs input. alas with no power supply for the TBC.

Any and all support on this is appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GetSmartGuy View Post
    , I am trying to find out what the specs on a power supply for this are? I can see on the back that it's 5VDC, but the power supplies I have seen online vary on the amps, I've seen 2A and 3A, but I don't want to get the wrong type and damage the unit.
    Also important: do not buy cheapy generic Chinese adapters. At best, it will display a noisy signal. At worst, it will damage the unit. Stick with brand names like ITE, ENG, Honor, etc.

I have a JVC HR-S9911U SUPER VHS S-VHS w internal TBC,
    Nice.

but I've read the external TBC will stabilize other factors in the video
    Correct.

roxio video capture analog to usb
    This is an Easycap rebadge, a junk card, do not use.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great info- do you have an answer on what amperage I should buy -I will get an ITE, ENG or Honor as you suggest.

Also- WHat external capture card would you recommend for SVHS video in and RCA audio in?
    Quote Quote